This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyrights

It's been a while since I'm had to comment on copyright law. I banned a member today for violating at least 2 copyrights. There may be more, but since I don't have time to check each and every one of his patterns, I deleted all of the patterns he posted.

I just want to remind all of the members that unless you are using a public domain image, an image you took of a non-trademarked item, or an image you have permission from the original artist to use, you cannot post the pattern on this site.

It's not OK for you to go and find a design cut in metal, or paper, or any other medium and turn it into a scroll saw pattern without the permission of the original artist. If you are in doubt...don't post it. If it comes to my attention, and you've done it more than once, you will be banned.

I'm not trying to be mean, or the copyright police, but I HAVE to protect this message board and the magazine. If someone wants to enforce their copyrights, they are much more likely to go after a magazine (which allowed their designs to be posted) than an individual person.

Best regards,
    Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Thats ok Bob. Business is Business, needed to be done.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
    Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
    One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

The sad part is that somehow we're the bad guys. If we're unsure of a pattern's origin we'll temporarily remove it and ask the designer. Most times it's an innocent mistake and most folks are happy to be informed. Unfortunately, occasionally some folks just either don't care or think we're targeting them personally and they turn around and attack us. Personally, I simply don't understand why.
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Good point, Kevin, and one I should have addressed. We're pretty lenient with just letting people post patterns, but if we have any questions about a pattern, we'll move the post to an area where the SSWC Editorial Team and the Moderators can check it out. We will usually drop you a private message to let you know why we moved it. Usually we just ask for some sort of assurance that the design is public domain (just send us a link to the site where you found the original art), a photo or piece of art you drew yourself, or a design you have permission to use. If you can provide one of these things, we're more than happy to reinstate the post.

We don't move posts to punish someone; we're just trying to protect the magazine and this message board.

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hi Bob. Any chance of learning what patterns were deleted? They may have already been downloaded by members who could now find themselves in the crap over copyright issues. Magic

Comment

Bob,
            seems like this rears it's ugly head from time to time...Thanks for the reminder...
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Bob,
              I've been thinking of adding a quick tutorial for this piece. It is my own original design. I thought I might offer the pattern along with a little how to.
              Are there any considerations I might need to address before I go ahead and post the pattern?
              dogwood 1 fin X1 PS.jpg
              Last edited by JimSawyer; 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM. Reason: clarity
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim,
                I hope there are no issues..I wanna learn how to do your craft.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

BOB,
                  Can I muddy the waters a little?

I have a subscription to your mag.

Can I share my magazine with a neighbor?

Can I later down the road sell my copy of my magazine? I see old copies of mags for sale on the net everyday. I have several hundred copies of old mags I'm trying to decide what to do with, so my wife does not have to deal with them upon my demise.

Can I donate it to a hospital waiting room?

It is after all now my magazine since I purchased it correct?

Just curious....
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

That's a concern I have too. If any of us downloaded the patterns he or she posted we need to know which ones they were. Is it possible to post tiny thumbnails of what they were?

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                      BOB,
                      Can I muddy the waters a little?

I have a subscription to your mag.

Can I share my magazine with a neighbor?

Can I later down the road sell my copy of my magazine? I see old copies of mags for sale on the net everyday. I have several hundred copies of old mags I'm trying to decide what to do with, so my wife does not have to deal with them upon my demise.

Can I donate it to a hospital waiting room?

Just curious....
                      Not muddying at all Mike and a good question. Under the First Sale Doctrine you can sell the original (or donate it) provided you don't keep copies for yourself. Sharing it with your neighbor technically would be a no-no though I don't think you'll get into much trouble.
                      As far as who's patterns, if you have any patterns with "WSA" on them as the creator I would be very hesitant to use them.
                      Kevin
                      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Jim,
                        Nope, as long as it's your original design, you can post what you want.

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

If you've got any concerns about patterns, you can follow Kevin's advice or PM me. I'd rather keep things like that off the open board as much as possible. Even posting thumbnails is a violation of the original artist's copyright.

Something else I was thinking about last night. I know there is a perception that if you see the same image in multiple places on the internet, then the image must be public domain. That's just not true. There's no way of knowing if the other websites are disregarding the original artist's copyrights.

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

So......if i get a book, or magazine at the library, and make a copy of a pattern to scroll for myself, am I breaking the copyright rule? How about copying a pattern to scroll from the same library book, or mag, and give it away, am I breaking the copyright rule?
                            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD,
                              That's really a grey area. Technically...it is a violation, but it's nearly impossible to enforce. Technically, the magazines and books in a library are for reference, and the library is the "owner" of the books. It quickly descends into a death spiral when you get into this grey area of the copyright law.

My concern is primarily about the board. I don't want to see the board shut down because someone is posting patterns made from copyrighted images.

Bob
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Colwood wood burner Great support
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Good to hear about great service and support
                                Today, 09:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Colwood wood burner Great support
                                by Rolf
                                I was using my older Colewood Super pro II yesterday and I could not control the temperature. As soon as I turned it on the tip went to the max. I opened it up to have a look.
                                Not much in the box a Transformer, a small circuit board with a few components. I decided to call the company and I believe...
                                Today, 08:27 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by Rolf
                                It seems that new members don't present themselves in the new members section. If anyone spots a new member encourage them to introduce themselves in the new member section.

I will send Kaylee a note to see who is overseeing the forum.
                                Today, 08:06 AM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by Jim McDonald
                                As you know, we lost a ton of folks during the time the board was being redone and a lot of them ended up at the Village and have never looked back.
                                As far as updates to the software, I am with Scott on having no clue. I do wish some of the old timers would check in from time to time, even...
                                Yesterday, 07:43 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to ?????? ??
                                by NC Scroller
                                I know Bob Duncan used to monitor and work on forum issues. No clue who is handling it now....
                                Yesterday, 05:37 PM
                              Working...
                              X