No announcement yet.

Fox Chapel Publishing Open House 2017 News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Mike Rowe. "Dirty Jobs" made you think about the millions of people who have less than glamorous jobs that make our society go on a daily basis. No one dreams of being the guy who cleans the insides of dams, but our electricity supply depends on someone doing it. I am much more aware of and thankful for, say, the trash guys and snowplow drivers thanks to that show. And cheesemakers! Surprisingly hard, that job.

Here at our office, it wouldn't matter how great our books are if truckers didn't deliver them to our warehouse staff, who stores them and then sends them out to stores and customers as needed. You don't need a college degree to drive a forklift and pack a box, but you do need specific training and you have to be detail-oriented, careful, quick, and accurate. Our business wouldn't run without the warehouse staff, and you can bet we know it.

If anyone is a fan of podcasts, Mike Rowe has one, "The Way I Heard It." Like Paul Harvey's old "The Rest of the Story," it tells the behind-the-scenes story of famous people and events in a short but intriguing way. The podcast also advertises his foundation and the concept that trade school and apprenticeships are valid and valued ways of getting not just jobs but careers.

Anyway. We are not going to start a revolution in industrial arts any time soon, but we support the grassroots effort. We did promote our show to high schools and Scout groups (but also retirement homes) within a 50-mile radius. We probably aren't going to get many truly young people taking up scroll saws, carving knives, or lathes, but millions of young baby boomers should be just about the right stage of life for a new hobby and have the money to buy a nice shiny saw. We're talking to some marketing folks and working on our digital properties in hopes of luring some of them in our direction. More ideas are welcome.

And if anyone is in the neighborhood, come on out to Artistry in Wood in Wilmington, Ohio, this weekend. It's mostly a carving show, but they have a few scrollers and some terrific furniture builders, too. We'll be there!
    "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Hi Bob and Mindy.....sorry to hear the news, but I certainly understand! The entire FC team always did such a knock out professional job on the Open House. I'm sure such an effort does not come cheap.

My son and I will definitely be disappointed not to be making the trip this upcoming spring. We were sad to have missed the 2016 event.

If you ever decide to "reboot" the idea, as another member posted earlier in the thread, an idea of an every-other, or even every-three year gathering might make sense, but of course you're the only ones who have a feel for the viability of something like that. The "Puzzle Parley" held in Salem, MA runs that way.....every other year. I don't think the attendance would be adequate if it was run yearly.

Regarding an idea for reaching out to a larger audience.....how about FC creating an official YouTube channel (or something similar within another video hosting platform). Videos could include demonstrations of all sorts of scrolling (or carving, or woodburning...). You could promote the channel within your magazine, and even occasionally link a specific video to a specific article (eg where the author offers a video showing tips regarding the featured project, or even a walkthrough/step-by-step of the entire thing).

I think woodworkers find themselves learning more and more from video tutorials these days, and there could probably be a nice marriage which could exist between that and print.

Just an idear!

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Hi Shawn, good to have you back! What a great idea on the videos.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Here's our Fox Chapel Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqQ...rcDNIeuOAW5hLA

www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
          www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
          www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

All I see is photo stuff, no scroll saw or carving
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

All I see is photo stuff, no scroll saw or carving
              Click on the videos tab and it will expand the available videos. A number of them appear to be on carving.

Karl
              Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Sorry, here's a link to the playlists, which break the videos down by magazine.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/FoxChapelVideos/playlists
                www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

LOL. Shows what I know. My wife always tells me that she could paint the whole house a different color, and I'd never notice it.

Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

I never knew these videos existed!!! Welcome back Shawn. You were missed.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Cool stuff.

Sadly it won't replace our Thursday night dinner.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Bob.. How about a venue like one of the big local fairs? I know York Fair has a big attendance and the folks who go through the buildings with the judged projects like wood working, art, quilting, etc. are pretty large. Every year you see more and more scroll work it seems. There's always space for a demo setup by a couple different scrollers over the 9 days at York Fair. Just a thought. We really need to keep our craft going and show the gratification received by doing something by hand.
                        Pop
                        Delta 16" 40-530
                        Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Trout
                          Reply to My heavy lifter crane project
                          Trout
                          All I need now is the string for the cable, i needed 8 extra feet. I ordered it on Tuesday so it should be here any time and then I can call this project done.

Then the fun of getting some good pictures of it..
                          Today, 09:16 PM
                        • Trout
                          Comment on My heavy lifter crane project
                          Trout
                          Today, 09:16 PM
                        • handibunny
                          Reply to My new toy
                          handibunny
                          Nice that the hose stores so easily, and the excess power cord stays in place on top. I think I'm going to like my new toy! 😊
                          Today, 06:27 PM
                        • waynemn
                          Reply to My new toy
                          waynemn
                          Nice going Carole. I purchased the same vacuum last December. I use it on the Jet scroll saw, sandflee, and delta spindle sander. Nice and quite. The AC cord is very heavy duty and very long. I like that the hose does store nicely in the top of the vacuum.
                          Wayne in MN
                          Today, 06:20 PM
                        • hotshot
                          Reply to My new toy
                          hotshot
                          Glad to see this works for you.
                          Today, 03:47 PM
                        Working...
                        X