Cutting down an edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting down an edge

Lack of testing has me in a tough spot on a project. I am carving a relief of a youth group emblem. A large heart shape with icons in the interior. It is about 28' high and 30' accross in 2' thick mahogany. I have worked down to the lowest level, approx 1', within 1/8 to 1/4' of fininsh lines and planned to carve striaght down from high face to ground to create the clean edge. The mahogany seems to be getting harder as I go, it is difficult to maintain 90 degrees to the face and the process is very slow. I progress about 2 inches per hour and I figure I have about 115 inches to go. Your 'non-powertool' suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Bewildered and behind schedule,
    Ah Chip

Re: Cutting down an edge

Cutting down an edge is hard even when its only 1/2 inch deep. My 1st thought while reading your post was power tools. After reading the rest of your post I have to say, power tools. You will be forever working on that, and may take a chance on damaging your tools, If you want to finish it with hand tools I would suggest using a 1/2 to 3/4 chisel and a mallet. these will be tuff enough to hold up and sharp enough to make a clean cut. Good Luck lets know how you make out.
    Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Comment

??? You don't say why you eschew power tools but if it is because you don't have one, maybe now is a good time to get one. If you object based upon 'artistic' reasons, let me assure you that 'The Manual of Traditional Woodcarving' published in 1911 in the UK, has a section showing how to use a primative router to speed up the tedious, less artistic, part of the project. If the old masters used power tools, I guess we can too!

Comment

With out the use of power you might try brushing on some mineral spirts / paint thinner I have used this in the past carving and it does help. it makes the cutting better and easy be shure to work in a well vented place out side if possible.

Comment

Comment

Use a Router with straight two flute bit bushed and a template.
            I am a traditional (hand tool) carver, but if you want a perfect 90 degrees; use the router.

Comment

I too, resisted using power tools on my projects because I felt that a true woodcarver would never use them.
              WRONG
              After trying to carve a tagua nut I broke down and bought a dremel and completed,in a matter of minutes,a carving that had set for months.
              While I was at it, I completed a couple of other carvings that I had quit on, because they had to much wood to remove by hand.
              I (now) agree with captain band-aid, the use of power tools to (hog) material down ( something that really has no artistic bearing on the carving) shows your maturity as a carver rather than being seen as a cheater.
              After all, isn't the use of power tools also a skill that many non-woodworking people don't posess?
              grumpy560

Comment

Comment

Gentlemen, you have convinced me that power is the answer. There will be enough tight corners left that I will still get to be the frustrated artist. So here is my Tim Taylor plan. I plan to turn my dad's radial arm saw 90 degrees with a straight burr in a chuck opposite the blade arbor. That gives me a large surface to support the work and I will be able to see the lines so I won't need to make a template. Thats the plan. I'll let you all know next week how it worked.
                  Ah Chip

Comment

Ah-chip,
                    may I also suggest you replace that puny 3/4 HP electric motor with a stroked and bored Chevy short block V-8? A nice 2' chromoly drive shaft, turned and balanced and running on Timken inboard/outboard precision roller bearings would be a nice touch too. Tim would approve, I'm sure. :

Comment

To All,
                      I finally got back to this project yesterday. Used Kutzal Gold burs to work the vertical and horizontal surfaces that need to be square. Moved alot of wood. When I was attempting to do this with my gouge and mallet it took me about an hour to do 2', with the 'power assist' I covered about 200 inches in 3 hours including beer breaks. And not as dusty as I thought it would be. Thanks to all for the artistic principle speeches regarding power tools. I am ready to finish this thing now that the garden is about done.
                      ah chip

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                        Reply to New tools
                        by Quartz43
                        I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                        Today, 03:40 PM
                      • hotshot
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by hotshot
                        You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                        Today, 02:27 PM
                      • RJweb
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by RJweb
                        I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                        Today, 01:31 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                        Today, 11:51 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Sundays market
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                        Today, 11:39 AM
                      Working...
                      X