Greetings again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings again...

Greetings all, again. I have been away for too to remember, though I have always popped in from now and then. I started, and almost finished, my scrollsaw work in a tiny space on one side of a garage. I finally have a bigger space, a completely finished shop! I know a bigger space will not make me a better scrollsawer, but it certainly is more convenient. I currently work from home, and my home office is also in the shop, larger due to my previous workspace being in a loft in the house that would routinely be 85 degrees in the summer. So, now in long meetings online that hardly involve me... yeah, I can catch up on sanding etc..

This forum is actually the reason I bought my first scroll saw. I had a friend that was into woodworking, (mainly lathe work and making pens), and I didn't want to copy him, so I started searching for something else... and I saw the wonderful work here, which got me interested. I visited without ever posting for many months before finally making the decision to buy my first scroll saw (DeWalt 788). I still remember the first weekend trying to cut wood. I didn't even know the difference between hardwood and softwood, and I think I bought some pine from Lowes and tried to cut some basic shapes. They were... horrible. My heart sank and I question whether I made a huge mistake. But, I kept at it... got better blades, figured out better wood, and slowly made progress.

I still consider myself a beginner... maybe always will, but I can see retirement on the horizon and I am someone that likes to keep busy, and working on the scrollsaw brings me joy. I hope to get to know some of the newer members here (and I remember some of the old-timers).

Scroll on.

Brad Stark, Hillsboro, Oregon

Hi Brad and welcome back. Good to hear you have been able to upgrade your work area. A comfortable work area does make scrolling more enjoyable. Look forward to seeing some of your recent work.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Welcome back 😀

Comment

Welcome back! Check to see if you have a club or other scroll saw enthusiasts near you. You have one of the best Intarsia artists about 3 hours away from you. I know she does classes. Janette Square. she may also know of other scrollers in your area. http://www.square-designs.com/
        In the mean time It takes time and practice. Post pictures here and we will gladly help suggestions on how to help you. Everyone of us has been in your shoes at some point.

It is nice to have a dedicated workspace with room.

Bottom line have fun!
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome back to the forum from TN. As a Pegas dealer, if you have any questions on Pegas products, I would be happy to help.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Welcome Back! From Reno NV. Thank you for sharing updates.
            ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
              You have one of the best Intarsia artists about 3 hours away from you. I know she does classes. Janette Square. she may also know of other scrollers in your area. !
              I had a chance to meet Janette at a craft show on the Oregon coast. Bought one of her books and the attached piece of intarsia that is hanging in our kitchen.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Welcome back Brad. Don't forget, ask question if you have them. The amount of knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.

Comment

Forgot the picture of the shop... though it is a bit messy today.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

What a nice space! It would be nice to have a shop with natural light. Some nice looking tools and I really like the bench!
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome back from the NC/VA border.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                        What a nice space! It would be nice to have a shop with natural light. Some nice looking tools and I really like the bench!
                        The benches in the front are two 60" Yukon workbenches from Harbor Freight (Just $159!). I thought about building my own, but the price of lumber is crazy. I just put two of them back-to-back. The benches in the back are more heavy duty I bought off Amazon.

I am very happy with how everything turned out. Originally, I was looking at getting at 12x16 Tough Shed and just running an electrical cord to it. My wife vetoed the idea, saying that would take value away from the house, not add to it. =) As always, she was right, and well, when she is right *and* I get an amazing shop... all the better.

Here is what it looks like on the outside. We still have landscaping to do next spring.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X