Hello from Central Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Central Florida

I'm 74, retired from the commercial dimensional advertising world. (carved and routed signs).
    I've always used the Roto-Zip, band saw, or other tools to make my projects. (wishing many times I had a good scroll saw). Well, I finally found an old DW-788 that the original owner said "it finally gave up the ghost" and advertised it on FaceBook. (Needing much repair). After a lot of research on the Ole Tube, I see that the major components that go bad aren't all that expensive so I picked the saw up for cheap (real cheap). After a lot of research on the Ole Tube, I see that the major components that go bad aren't all that expensive. So now, with a very modest investment, I think I have a pretty reliable machine.
    I'll cruise through the forums to see what's going on around here.
    Thanks for having me !!
    John
    Last edited by John Smith; 06-28-2022, 06:29 PM.

Welcome! John! From Reno NV. A long time 788 user (I'm94) I'm sure you will get many happy hours from the repairs you placed on the machine.
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Used a 788 for many years. It now resides with a crafty family friend.
      Questions are answered freely around here and no one has any tricks they don't freely share.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Welcome to family John.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

thanks for the kind words - I'm not really a scroller "enthusiast", per se. I like to make dimensional signs and have always used the band saw, routers, or Roto-Zip to cut the elements out then do some handcarving to perk them up a bit. I'll put some of my projects in my folder later on.
          I work mostly with HDU (High Density Urethane). I very rarely clear-coat anything. (I'm a painter. That's what I do. I like to paint things).

Prismatic Letter.jpg

Paint 005.jpg

Comment

Welcome to the group. I look forward to seeing more of your work. You will probably need to slow down you scroll saw when cutting the urethane on the scroll saw. If the blade gets to hot it will fuse back together.
            I have used the house trim board material which I think is PVC. Where do you purchase the HDU?
            Last edited by Rolf; 06-29-2022, 09:24 AM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors for your area. It is not something you find in a Box Store. A couple of brand names would be SignFoam, Precision Board, Corafoam, etc. The only drawback is it has to be painted - not clear-coated. Probably the most preferred product for exterior signs and other projects.

Comment

Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean.
                  Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X