Old,,,,but new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old,,,,but new here

I'm going to try my hand at scrolling as a hobby. I used to do woodworking in a fairly large shop but, now I'm stuck in a 6'X10' room in a retirement apartment complex.
    So bear with me as my questions start appearing please.
    Mid 70', broke, want to be active more than my body does, willing to learn. This looks like the place.

Welcome. Look forward to your participation.
    Last edited by meflick; 11-23-2020, 03:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Welcome Old..... Glad to help in any way.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

You have a sense of humor with that name. Welcome to you. You should discover a versatile wealth of info and entertainment here. Happy Thanksgiving from Arizona
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Welcome to our forum. We have a nice give and take here, and many of us have been around for 10 years or more. Can you tell us more about the woodworking you’ve done, and what you’d like to do with it now?

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome "Old F__T" You are in good company with this forum. While the age range of forum members is varied, there are many of us who are your contemporaries.
            cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Welcome! As the others have said, lots of support and knowledge here ready to be shared.
              Is the 6 x10 your workspace or your entire apartment. ?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The room was supposed to be storage but it's my office? now with a roll top desk and a barristers bookcase.which I built when I was able.

Comment

A belated welcome. I don't consider myself to be an Old f... yet, but given a little more time I'm sure I will get there.

Looking forward to you particpating in the forum and as other have already said, don't be shy or afraid to ask questions. There is a wealth of info on this forum and members are always willing to share and to help newcomers.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Welcome here too. And congratulations. I hope that when I'm in my mid seventies like you, I still have the guts to try a new hobby, other than correction other people's grammatical errors on Wikipedia.... Anyway. I started out scrolling in a nook in my garage, somewhere between the water boiler, the boxes with Christmas decorations and the bumper of our car. So yes, an 8 by 10 office space should be more then enough.

Scrolsawing is a very exciting hobby, or rather it is a dozen hobbies all in once. You have fretwork, bowl making, box making, intarsia, toy making, puzzle making, plaqu making and lately also 3d stacked ornaments, courtesy of alexscrollsaw from the Ukraine. My suggestion is to try everything at least once and then see what really fits your style. And since you're gonna budget, don't go overboard on fancy hardwoods yet. Start out with some regular pine or ash planks and may be some construction grade plywood for the finer pieces. Then start out with simple forms. The good thing with Jose is that you can make it a social enterprise by enlisting your grandkids or your artistic one-room-over neighbors to help with the painting.

Comment

Ennobee "I hope that when I'm in my mid seventies like you, I still have the guts to try a new hobby" You make that sound like that is old LOL.
                      My Mom got deep into computers in her late 70's along with digital embroidery. I am in my early 70's and constantly looking for something new and exciting challenges.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A very late welcome to the forum from TN
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                          Reply to Latest toy.
                          by Rolf
                          Jim is it small as in a scroll saw cut or bigger for the band saw?
                          Today, 09:11 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Spring Issue
                          by Rolf
                          I just took a look at it. Yes it is a big one.
                          Today, 09:07 AM
                        • Jim Finn
                          Reply to Latest toy.
                          by Jim Finn
                          Our Hospitals also declined to receive toys in December .In fact they gave us back about 1200 of them that they had in storage. We found three new (to us) charitable groups to give them to. The pattern was given to me by a friend along with others. I have modified the pattern since and now have...
                          Today, 08:00 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Spring Issue
                          by will8989
                          The fish puzzle is turning out to be a bit of a challenge. First I had to copy it. Which took sometime due to its size. Cut and taped together. No wood long or wide enough in my stock. Copied at 75%, cut and taped again and gave Bruce 2 boards to glue up. Hopefully, will be clear “sailing” on the...
                          Today, 02:11 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Latest toy.
                          by will8989
                          That is really cute. You’re lucky you were able to give your toys away. Bruce’s club had to store everything. One of the hospitals finally called them for toys. They still have over 3,000 in storage....
                          Today, 02:04 AM
                        Working...
                        X