Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy From NE Oregon

Hi,

I am new to scroll sawing but have been woodworking and metal working since childhood. Woodworking started with balsa airplanes, guided by my father, when I was about 5. As a teenager, he had me build a Sabot sailboat. He put me to work in his machine shop when I was in high school. I have a fairly nice machine shop for metalworking, but do not have any machine tools for woodworking yet (planer, jointer, wood lathe, etc.), just sanders, drill press, bandsaw and hand power tools.

I'd never considered scroll sawing until I wanted to make puzzles for my granddaughter. She has been loving my first puzzle (a nested bunny/baby bunny) and every practice piece I've done. She sits at the saw with me, collecting all the scraps.

I recently moved to a tiny ranching community in NE Oregon to be near my granddaughter. Great place, I love it

Rick
    Haflway, OR
    Last edited by Rick Kr; 06-12-2018, 12:27 AM. Reason: If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satified with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper.
    "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Rick, welcome over here. I have the hull, centerboard, rudder, built on a little mini-cup sail boat sitting in my garage.. I need one more sanding of the epoxy and then paint on the haul them build the mast. I started it a little over 10 years ago!! So close but I hate, HATE , sanding and working with epoxy. Still I keep thinking, I will get it done one day. Days are running out.... got to do it. I built it using an old plan out of Popular Mechanics magazine.
    AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Welcome Rick! This is a great group with a lot of talent and willing to share all the knowledge we have. You joined in our slow season, everyone is out doing other things so don't feel bad if the responses are slow.
      You are a man after my own heart I also love machining my dad was a true German toolmaker. My back ground is very similar to yours.
      Scrolling is a wonderful hobby! I looked up the Sabot it is a new name to me. It looks very similar to our Local Opti boats big races at our dock all the time.

At 15 I built this Minimax Hydro, my dad bribed me with a motor if I finished it. Rolf Hydro 1965.jpg
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome Rick!! Any questions, just ask and you will surely get a few answers. As for me, never built a boat nor do I intend to!! I do lots and lots of puzzles along with baskets, and other "stuff". Pictures, we like pictures!!! My new "adventure" is taking me into grinder carving. Where was the picture taken, Rolf, Germany? You sure were a "hottie". LOL
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Here's another warm welcome from Nevada. Thanks for joining and letting us know what part of the country you live in. Nice to have granddaughters! Keep us posted on your actiivities,
          Maybe even share some pictures.
          Floyd in Reno NV
          ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Welcome to scroll sawing . I am retired tool maker. and now I scroll clocks and toys. It is avery good hobby, And yes we do like pictures.
            Enjoy.

Comment

Rocky point NY, I now live 15 miles south .
              Rolf

Comment

Welcome from another who recently got started with scroll sawing. I too do things mostly for grandkids, but my background in wood working has been flat work and lathe/pen turning off and on for the past 14 years. I wish I had your machine shop experience.
                Hank Lee
                Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

What field in our profiles is used to add the byline at the bottom of messages we post? On my initial post above, I see "Tags: none" but I have not found where to enter anything for "Tags" and is that the right thing to be looking for?
                  "If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Comment

I was just looking at my posts. In your initial new post at the bottom you can select TAGS and enter it there. I have never given it a thought before.

I like your comment at the bottom" If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
                    Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      I was just looking at my posts. In your initial new post at the bottom you can select TAGS and enter it there. I have never given it a thought before.

I like your comment at the bottom" If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
                      Yes, thanks. That is the comment I want to have show up with each post. That one was added as an after-edit. It was given to me my my graduate school advisor. It resonated then and ever since.

Once the post was there, I could not access the "Tags" area. It should be possible to put it in my profile so it shows up each time. Isn't that what you have done?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kr View Post
                        What field in our profiles is used to add the byline at the bottom of messages we post? On my initial post above, I see "Tags: none" but I have not found where to enter anything for "Tags" and is that the right thing to be looking for?
                        Welcome Rick. Glad to have you join us. I believe you may be referring to the "Signature" lines where some of us have added different information. For example, some of us like Paul, Betty and myself have our real first name since we use a forum name different from it. Then she have motivational quotes and some like Rolf, give what type of saws they have ad other info. is that what you are talking about? If so, then you go to your User Profile to add a "signature" to your Profile. You can also upload a photo or image to use as your Profile image. For example, Rolf has a photo of himself, I have an artist Mickey.

To add a signature, you first have to go to your Profile. You can look up in the top right corner and see your user name, click there and you will get a drop down menu, you can click on either the "User Profile" or the "User Settings" - "User Settings" will skip a step or two. The first page is your Profile information. If you then click over to the "Account" tab (down several lines on the top left side, you will get more information - here is where you can change your password or email associated with your account and enable or disable Private Messaging and more - look it over - as your scroll on down - there is a subsection titled "Conversation Detail Options" - just to the right of that and down 3 lines in blue it says "Edit Post Signature" - if you click there - you can add in your "signature" that will appear at the bottom of any of your posts.

To add an image to your Avatar - go to the User Profile page, and where the present image is for your Avatar (the gray faceless image in the box), and scroll onto the image and you should see a popup that says "Edit Avatar" in the bottom right corner of the image - click on that and you can upload an image from your computer to use.
                        Melanie from East TN

Comment

Welcome to the forum from TN. Look like you will fit in quite well with this group.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

To add the quote, click on you name in the upper right of the screen, select "user setting", scroll down to "edit signature" click on that and enter what you want to show.
                            AKA Paul from Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post

Welcome Rick. Glad to have you join us. I believe you may be referring to the "Signature" lines where some of us have added different information....snip...
                              Thanks. That did the trick.

Edit: What? Wait. The signature showed up on older posts, but not in this reply.

And now it is there? What gives?
                              Last edited by Rick Kr; 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                                Ladder Legs
                                leehljp
                                I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                                http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                                Today, 07:06 PM
                              • Scrappile
                                Reply to Elk Meadow
                                Scrappile
                                Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Pricing
                                Sandy Oaks
                                Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                                Today, 09:34 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                                Rolf
                                We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                                will8989
                                WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                                Today, 08:26 AM
                              Working...
                              X