"Lookers"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lookers"

I've noticed that there are always quite a few lookers on line but no one ever joins us. My question is why? We are a friendly group and would love for you who are looking to join us and share your knowledge and ideas with us. So this is an invitation to please join us.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Thanks for saying what we all think. Yes, we are a friendly group. Come join in the fun.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

And a knowlegeable group. I have learned a lot from this forum. Just ask a question.
      Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I hope not all the visitors are search engine robots and we will see some new names here soon. (And I would love to hear from of the older, silent members).
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I have been away from scrollsawing a few years and wanting to get back into it. I still have my Delta 16" thats been collecting dust.

Comment

Dust that puppy off and lets see some projects!
            I still have my Delta SS 350 it is a great saw.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Never thought of that Jim. Yes, Don, lets see some pictures!!!
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I think it is a catch 22, More participation means more people, but you need more people to get more participation.

I can go to ScrollSaw Village several times a day and always see new posts, and get new info about scrolling, I come here and I am lucky to see one or two maybe on a good day four or five, a day. Also, there appears to me more of an "click" here. Sorry, and you can band me for saying it, but I will speak the truth, most scrollers, IMHO, and because this is me also, display their work seeking some praise, acceptance, or something. On here you post something you completed and the same 3 or 4 people respond and there are others that respond only if it is in their area of interest. Sorry, I want this and all scroll saw forum to succeed, but look at ScrollSaw Village (SSV) and try to determined what makes it so popular. I also think that the owner of SSV makes a real effort to keep improving the site. This site has few of the niceties that SSV have. Tutorials, galleries, all kinds of Info, not available here. Tons of very good free patterns, You name it. Here you have very good magazine article writers, experts in their little field of scrolling, book writers, show goers, and showers,,, but very few of just plain hobby scrollers, like me.

There are other scrolling sites that have the same problem. There has to be a reason SSV is so popular. INFO, there is so much available there, thank to an owner that works at it. I can not help but think, that a lot more magazines would be sold if this site was a popular a SSV. But what do I know?

Very sorry if I offend. But these are my feelings. Only wishing they would help, because there are some very knowledgeable, good people here. Some also participate on SSV and their knowledge they share is invaluable to me and others. Why do you few that do think SSV is so much more active?
                AKA Paul from Washington State
                Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

This forum was a s big as SSV is now until they went through the forum upgrade process that effectively killed the site for quite a while.
                  That down time pushed folks to join and create other sites. As for why it has grown as it has, you make some good points. I think the one big difference is that SSV is managed by its owner as this site is, if I am not mistaken, managed partly by FC staff who already have a huge plate full of responsibilities and don't have the luxury of time.
                  Travis has done an excellent job with SSV and I hope that the effort he puts into it is paying off for him.

I prefer the intimacy of this site as it has been my home since I started scrolling. I find that when I visit SSV I just do a quick skim and If I don't see anything that grabs me I leave.
                  I would like to see this site recover fully but I think that will be difficult with all of the competition from face book etc. That is what killed SAW these are different times.

As a final note this reminds me of the local clubs when I was single every few months there was a new hot spot with a different name but same old stuff. With the constant flux in this new electronic communication age who knows where we will all be next year. For now I enjoy that I have alternative resources and that I can go where my mood takes me. But home is where my heart is.
                  Rolf

Comment

Like Rolf, I have been on this forum about a year after I started to scroll. I really hope this isn't turning into a clique as Paul mentioned. I also visit both sites, but this is where my heart is.
                    Denny
                    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

You know, I had forgotten about the upgrade mess, in fact that is what caused me to go look for another forum. Coming out of that and recovering is a steep hill to climb. I guess that makes me more of a bad guy, I cut and ran, instead of sticking it out. Well, I hope it recovers. I apologize for my rant yesterday.
                      AKA Paul from Washington State
                      Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

I think the issue was the year that this site was having problems and nobody seemed to be working on fixing it. Yes, the people had other responsibilities but management needed to decide to dedicate resources to it. I think that finally there was a change somehow and things got fixed.

The vBulletin software seems to be a problem and is just not as friendly as other forum software. Other forums have had issues with it and are moving away from it.

​​​​​​The site also has a small group of people who post the majority of things. It feels like a small club at times.

The other thing is the small number of projects posted here. On SSV there are many posted every day. I do not know how to fix things but do not see any changes on the

Comment

I visit both sites every day, most days at least. Several here do as well. I found both last year when I started in on learning the scroll saw shortly after losing my mother. i was involved in another forum for a software program that I use with my electronic die cutters (and use to help me with patterns for my saw.) That forum used to be lively and full of posts like the Village but then the developer of the program sort of abandoned it and people have slowly fallen away from it. It's still a great program, and would work for most people's needs, but with out updates and "Breath" from the developer people go looking for something newer elsewhere. I think once you lose people, for whatever reason, its harder to get them back. It takes a lot of time and effort. Many only want to check one site - as its a "time factor" - plus there are many scroll saw/intarsia Facebook groups - some open to the public, and some "closed" groups and I think may of those people only use Facebook anymore and not Forums. That has also been a draw away from the other forums for other stuff I have participated in. I hate to see that because I don't do Facebook and don't want to. I can "look" at the public ones because hubby has a Facebook page that he doesn't really use so I use it to "look" but since it is his page, I won't use it to join a "closed" group. I don't like "closed" groups anyway - to many that is the ultimate in shutting people out rather than making them feel welcome. I have never felt that this group was a "clique" in any way - I can see how some might think so if they didn't participate actively - Paul is right in that you get more "comments" on the SSV site when you post something - but that is simply in my opinion because there is so little activity here. There are a few regulars - but beyond that - others just pop in occasional and comment then perhaps and others just "pass through". It makes it easy to "keep up" with posts but doesn't encourage others to join in I am afraid. How to change that - I'm not sure. I try not to necessarily post identical posts on both sites - I figure those of you who visit both don't want to see a "repeat" of the same thing but then, there are people here who don't come over to the Village and I want to share with them to.

I'm not sure what the answer is, how we can expand the "crowd" here - I'm happy to do what we can. I went searching for groups last year when I got started and found both, others may only find one or both. We do seem to have less "photos" or "projects" shared here and I think that is what brings a lot of people to a site like this, looking for projects/inspiration and/or help with a problem they are having with a pattern or a saw. So maybe we all need to make a better effort to share photos of projects, files to use, etc. here and encourage others to check it out but if there isn't anything they aren't already getting from another site I am not sure they will stay.

Edited to add - there are still some problems with this forum. Sometimes pictures don't seem to be "seen" by everyone for some reason. Sometimes some posts don't seem to show up, the "Latest Topics" area doesn't seem to update correctly with recent posts, etc. That can be a real negative for many people. I try to "work around" it best I can because I like being here and interacting with those of you are here.
                          Last edited by meflick; 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM.
                          Melanie from East TN

Comment

I visit all the sites daily, here, ssv, Steve Good, and the scrollers cafe, as for this forum you have to realize that there main business is the magazines that keeps them busy, and no time to permote it, RJ
                            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

I truly hope no one thinks this site is clique in any way, those of us that have been here for a long time have become friends an some of us have even met in person. This forum has always been very welcoming to new scrollers of all levels.
                              Paul you shouldn't feel bad at all, I think you pose a good question. And many of us were frustrated with that rough patch.

The forum is always slow in the summer. it should pick up as we get back into the shop.
                              Last edited by Rolf; 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM.
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Scrappile
                                Reply to 1999 Hegner M18?
                                Scrappile
                                I believe some of the earlier ones do not have the quick tension release at the front of the top arm. That would be a show stopper for me. I have seen several 18" in various conditions and they usually are listed around $400.
                                Keep in mind I live in the North West and scroll saws are a hard...
                                Today, 11:15 AM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to It's done
                                cwmagee
                                I have always want to try a project like that, however I have not gotten around to it. Nice work!
                                Today, 10:45 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to It's done
                                Sandy Oaks
                                That is really cool.
                                Today, 10:28 AM
                              • snatiep
                                1999 Hegner M18?
                                snatiep
                                Hello Everyone,

I currently cut with a DeWalt and a RBI Hawk 226 scroll saw.

I was on ebay this morning and saw local to me a Hegner M18 with stand and accessories for $800 or best offer.

I'd love to try a Hegner but the age of the saw has me concerned. It says...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Hey Dad, guess what happened to me today
                                NC Scroller
                                That is one where you tell Kevin we really don't need to know until at least 6 months after it happened. There are lots of crazy people out there....
                                Today, 08:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X