relief carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relief carving

Hi folks,I,m going to try a relief carving{which I have never befor attempted},and I,m wondering where to start.The carving is of the 'Braided Beardman from L.S Irish.'Do you start from the highest point{the nose} or from the lowest point{the back of the beard}?Actually I guess I have done relief before.I did a couple of roses in relief,but to me that was a differant style{or is it?}.Anyways I would appreciate any input from you excellant carvers out there.
    Thanks
    Mark

Re: relief carving

Before you even start you need to determine the highest and lowest points. All of the points in between are the levels your striving for. It may help to number all the different levels, starting from low to high. Shade with your pencil, dark pencil shade represents deep cuts, light pencil shade represents shallow cuts. You should end up with a totally shaded drawing before you set chisel to wood. It also helps to mount your light source lower. Relief carving is the magic of light and shadow. Once you start it will come to you again.

Comment

Re: relief carving

Thanks for the input noel58.I,ll try your method.Appreciate it.
      Mark

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X