Blade Length

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Length

Would it kill folks to make the blade just a fraction longer? It seems like such a struggle to change blades on my Excalibur. Just a bit more blade length would help Soooo much. Thoughts?

They are a standard length and the saw is made to use that length. Is your top arm on the saw parallel to the table top?
    AKA Paul from Washington State
    22" Hegner.

Comment

As close as I can get it. I use a pre-measured block of wood that I put between the table and the arm. I understand that there are standards, but what would it hurt to add a 1/16th. It looks like my saw could accommodate that with out any problems.

Comment

You might want to check with Ray at Seyco. He is always very helpful.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Strikenmike View Post
          As close as I can get it. I use a pre-measured block of wood that I put between the table and the arm. I understand that there are standards, but what would it hurt to add a 1/16th. It looks like my saw could accommodate that with out any problems.
          I just don't see this as a common problem, least this is the first time I have heard the complaint. Something else is not correct. I have an Ex, never had a problem Maybe a picture of where (how high you put the blade in the top clamp and how low in the bottom clamp would help. For instance the blade should not extend above the flat part of the clamp that the clamp screw goes into (hope that makes sense). That should give you plenty of blade to clamp in the bottom. If not something is not right. Shows a picture, page 13 of the manual.
          22" Hegner.

Comment

You have to adjust the top arm of the saw with the knob on the back of the saw, If I remember good clockwise will bring the arm down.

Comment

Guess, what, Olsen does make a 6" blade. I thought I heard that Seyco may start selling a 6" also, not sure if that would be the Olsen or not.

Take a look: https://www.olsonsaw.net/shop/scroll...des-6-in-long/

There may be other brands that do this, I'm not sure
              Last edited by hotshot; 04-08-2017, 12:08 AM.
              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

The only time I experience issues with blade length on my EX21 is when the upper arm is not parallel with table top. That said, I have experienced issues with the upper arm staying parallel. Recently I have tried a small amount Loctite on the treads on the upper arm adjuster knob.

It is too soon to tell if I have solved the problem.
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber
                Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

What saws use a 6" blade? It says for saws with a longer stroke. With the exception of some of the really old saws most only have a 3/4 inch stroke.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                    What saws use a 6" blade? It says for saws with a longer stroke. With the exception of some of the really old saws most only have a 3/4 inch stroke.
                    The ARM on the Excalibur, Seyco, and Jet can be adjusted up with that back knob. This would introduce blade travel which could be tweaked back out again. This would be helpful for me on the puzzle boxes where my saw is maxed out on height, but I'm not used to the Olsen blades, so I would have to figure out if any of those would be similar to the FD Polar.

Comment

Randy by adjusting the arm up how would that affect the saw front back motion?
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                        I'm not used to the Olsen blades, so I would have to figure out if any of those would be similar to the FD Polar.
                        I use Olsen Precision ground blades and FD #5 polar. They both work about the same but the Olsens last longer. I am cutting 3/4" thick hardwoods.

Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,15" Jet
                        You may have your PHD but I have my GED and my DD 214""

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                          Randy by adjusting the arm up how would that affect the saw front back motion?
                          It would increase the travel. But blade travel is tuned by turning the motor, so it might be able to be tweaked back to nominal for that arm height. My only worry here is running the arm high at an angle it wasn't designed for, possibly causing undue wear/stress.

Comment

the way I see it, moving the arm up, because the pivot point is towards the back It is actually moving in an arc at the point the blade attaches. The higher the arc the more front to back movement..... am I wrong?? Wouldn't be the first time. I was wrong in.... 1967.
                            22" Hegner.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                              Reply to Triangular Pieces
                              turtleteasers
                              [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                              Today, 12:16 PM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Triangular Pieces
                              Rolf
                              Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                              Today, 10:20 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Black lacquer
                              Rolf
                              Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                              Today, 10:16 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                              Rolf
                              Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                              Today, 10:11 AM
                            • campasano
                              Reply to Whirligig
                              campasano
                              Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                              Today, 09:59 AM
                            Working...
                            X