Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello, I posted earlier this month asking about a what saw to buy. After reading my earlier post I noticed I really did not introduce myself. Anyway, my name is Todd and I live in Ruston, Louisiana. ie. lacarver I have been scrolling for one week know and it is a blast. I previously carved in relief and am looking forward to combining scrolling and carving in the future. First I need to cut a strait line. The G4 seems to be working extremely well. I attempted to post two projects that I have completed but it appears that the size was too big and I need to figure out how to get the size right on the photo. Looking forward to chatting with you all in the future. Any and all tips have been and are appreciated. By the way, what is your opinion on the best saw blade?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd

Hawk G4

Welcome todd, and congrats on your new tool!!! Its sure a blast huh? My opinion on the best saw blade depends on what Im cutting. There are so many different tooth configurations and types, but each has their own unique uses. as for brand, I better refrain from suggesting my favorite brand, because every time one of us does, it causes a blade debate war here,and then I get accused of being a paid advertiser for Mike, so I best not suggest a brand.Do tell what types of things you intend to be cutting, and I can suggest a blade that will work for you. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale,
      I have cut a lighthouse and a name for a desk so far. I plan on doing puzzles, silhouettes, words, crosses and who knows what. I am figuring out, a little bit, the size of blades to use for what cuts. I would really like to know a good brand for blades. If you would send a PM I would apreciate it. I wont tell anyone. Todd
      Todd

Hawk G4

Comment

Todd...Pegus, Olson and Flying Dutchman are all good blades. I use them all in various sizes depending on what I'm cutting. After you have scrolled for a while you will probably settle on a particular brand you like the best, much like carving knives. Any of the three mentioned are very serviceable blades. Welcome to the group!!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi Todd,

Welcome ! I'm from South Louisiana.... Pointe Coupee Parish. Near Baton Rouge.

Comment

Todd, Here are some links for the more popular blade manufactures,
            Flying Dutchman (www.mikesworkshop.com)
            Olson (www.olsonsaw.com)
            Pegas (www.bensscrollsaw.com)
            We all have our favorites, give them all a try before you decide.
            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Hey Todd, I can't really add anything on the blades as the guys have pretty much said it.

Welcome my friend. I'd love to see some of your work.
              Check me out on the web:
              http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

Hi Todd.
                kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Welcome to the group Todd
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Hi Todd, and Welcome for sure. so glad you are here. as far as blades, well you have recieved the best impho. from ubove. I would add one thing. it does depend on the thinckness of your wood. I use small blades, in thin wood like 1/4 inch, my favorite blade sizes are 02 and 2 and 3 I do alot of fretwork, so those work well for me. in those little cuts. but if your wood is thicker like 1/2 or so. you would wont a bigger blade, I still use #3,,#5,, and #7 and sometimes a #9 in very hard wood. the bigger blades are harder to turn tight corners. but then there is a way around that. stick around, this is a great group, and love to help. Oh ya, also there is the teeth. I use a skip tooth, and skip tooth revers. and in hard woods a milled tooth is really sharp, and cuts alot faster. the size of the blades are thicker and deeper the larger you go. but the teeth are pretty much the same in all sizes. teeth per inch that is. the more theeth per inch cuts slower, and easyer to controle, and the less theeth per inch , cuts faster, but harder to controle. Evie
                    Last edited by minowevie; 03-24-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                      Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                      Today, 10:43 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                      I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                      Today, 09:08 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by Rolf
                      Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                      Today, 08:55 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                      by Rolf
                      I am very curious as to how the the slots were cut? The lathe work part of it is simple....
                      Today, 08:51 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Now that's one to make us smile! I've been meaning to try that sometime but procrastinating simply because I didn't stop to consider starting on an easier design to actually learn from. Great reminder. I love your jack-o-lantern!
                      Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    Working...
                    X