Big Goof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Goof

I decided to carve a deep relief of a ketch (sail boat for you landlubbers) under full sail in open water. It's a fairly simple design. There are three elements to the carving: sky, ketch and ocean. I spent several hours lowering the background, setting in and undercutting the sails. Everything went real well until I noticed that no matter at what angle the light shined on the relief (except directly in front) the sails cast a shadow on the sky. What a goof! Not very good planning! Oh well better luck (planning) next time. I'm glad that I caught the problem before I did any modeling.

Re: Big Goof

you can light the relief from the top edge.........that should cast the shadow down onto the water...if not you can always lower the depth of the water and readjust your skyline.

papa

Comment

Pull in the sails and start the engines. Then you just have to worry about the exhaust...

Denny

Comment

Sailing ships do better in shallow relief I believe. Not as many problems with shadow...but then shadow is the whole idea of relief. Creates depth.

I'd like to take a peek at your carving, if you would like to share it, I might be able to offer some suggestions, I've done a few ships under sail in relief.

Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ennobee
          Meanwhile, another giant palette wood airplane
          by Ennobee
          While still trying to summon the courage to finish the final version of my Gotha bomber, I got sidetracked and stumbled upon some plans from two years ago: a giant four-engined brother to my earlier Fokker Trimotor... The ultimate 1930's dieselpunk engine.

THe plans were designed for 1/2...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          Today, 09:59 PM
        • will8989
          Bruce’s new toys
          by will8989
          He went to his meeting last night and it was a tool swap. He came home with - Jet slow water grinder (?), new never used air brush, and a never used spray tent that exhausts to the outside and an extra tent. All for the grand total of $35....
          Today, 08:16 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Celtic knot-shamrock cross
          by will8989
          Very nice. I thought it was carved.
          Today, 08:05 PM
        • Jim McDonald
          Reply to I've been AWOL for too long...
          by Jim McDonald
          For you and hotshot , remember to hide notes, chicken bones or beer cans in the stud cavities for the next remodeler to find.

I am partial to the folks who hide plastic skeletons in dead spaces under stairs, etc.
          Today, 11:14 AM
        • Ennobee
          Celtic knot-shamrock cross
          by Ennobee
          My wife fell in love with the shamrock cross pattern in the spring issue of SS&W. So I had to make her one as soon as I found the time. Off course, not being able to leave a good pattern alone, I decided to turn it into a segmentation using some real hard broken pallet wood I 'disposed off' at work....
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Yesterday, 02:11 PM
        Working...
        X