Big Goof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Goof

I decided to carve a deep relief of a ketch (sail boat for you landlubbers) under full sail in open water. It's a fairly simple design. There are three elements to the carving: sky, ketch and ocean. I spent several hours lowering the background, setting in and undercutting the sails. Everything went real well until I noticed that no matter at what angle the light shined on the relief (except directly in front) the sails cast a shadow on the sky. What a goof! Not very good planning! Oh well better luck (planning) next time. I'm glad that I caught the problem before I did any modeling.

Re: Big Goof

you can light the relief from the top edge.........that should cast the shadow down onto the water...if not you can always lower the depth of the water and readjust your skyline.

papa

Comment

Pull in the sails and start the engines. Then you just have to worry about the exhaust...

Denny

Comment

Sailing ships do better in shallow relief I believe. Not as many problems with shadow...but then shadow is the whole idea of relief. Creates depth.

I'd like to take a peek at your carving, if you would like to share it, I might be able to offer some suggestions, I've done a few ships under sail in relief.

Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X