New Scroller Wannabbee in E. Tenn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scroller Wannabbee in E. Tenn.

Hello, I am a brand new wannabee scroller who knows absolutely nothing about scroll saws. I bought mine, a Craftsman, primarily to make cut outs for my other hobby, woodcarving. However, for practice on the saw I tried portraits and forest leaf designs in both scrap plywood and 1/4 inch oak and became addicted. Both turned out OK but not great and at least I didn't have to use much glue and surprisingly no bandaids. I have been using #1 Flying Dutchman spiral blades with mixed rates of success. Am I using the correct blades for that kind of work or would I have better luck with a different blade? This question has probably been asked and answered before and for that I apologize and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction as far as blade selection is concerned. Sorry for rambling.
    http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
    http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
    Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Welcome aboard. You can use whatever blade your comfortable with. For me, I prefer a flat blade, with either reverse teeth on the bottom, ir the ones known as twoway cut, with teeth in both directions. For the leaf designs. I would use a #3 or a #5, and stack cut two of your 1/4th inch layers at a time for better control.Im sure with a little browsing, you will find a lot of info on blades, so Ill just let you look around and meet the folks here. Happy Scrolling, Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome to the group Don
      Charlie
      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

I'm with Dale on using flat reverse tooth blades for things like forest leaves, I use mainly #3s or #1s on 1/2 inch oak - occasionally #5s to cut out the outside of the shape.

I haven't used spirals a great deal - though I don't hate them as much as I did at my first attempts ..lol I did find that I got better results cutting with #2/0 spiarl blades rather than #1s (that was cutting 7/32inch ply)
        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Hi Don, welcome to a great scrolling forum.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Welcome to our little family Don. Like was previously stated, I use flat baldes on the leaf designs. #3 and #5 reverse blade. I use Olsen blades but use whatever brand you prefer. Some people like Ford and some like Chevy but they both get you from point A to point B. I also use them on portraits. I have tried the spiral blades and have not be able to master them but I have not even up.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Welcome to the family Don. Steve
              If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
              My Gallery
              [email protected]

Comment

Welcome aboard, Don.
                A wealth of knowledge is here just for the asking.
                Regarding blades - as others have said, use whatever gives you the best results. I think most of us now use flat blades simply because (1) we have learned how to use them and (2) the smooth side edges they provide. Personally, I live with either #3 or #5 depending on wood type and thickness.
                Just my humble opinion (but I'm stickin with it)
                Fred
                aka Pop's Shop
                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!.

Comment

Welcome aboard Don! I don't care for the Spiral Blades basically because of all the "frizzies" left after using them. I know that it seems to be a current trend for many of the portrait scrollers, but just starting out, you might want to try "flat blading" first. Buy an assortment and find the type of blades that work best for your type of scrolling.

Good Luck,
                  Rick
                  Old Scrollers Never Die...They Just Saw Away!

Comment

Welcome to the club Don.
                    kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Don welcome aboard, I would use a 2/0 FD-NS for that, I always have optimal control with those even on thicker hardwoods, feedrate is the key to success no matter which blade you opt to use.
                      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and blade tips. I have ordered a selection of blades based on your comments and will give them all a try. I am sure there will be other questions as I go down this road.
                        Thanks again
                        Don R
                        http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
                        http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
                        Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

Welcome to the group Don
                          Diane
                          Dragon
                          Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                          Owner of a Dewalt 788
                          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Welcome to the group Don As stated, blade choice is a personal preference. I often venture to the " dark side " of scrolling ( spirals ) and have found great success with the FD " New " spirals .
                            ...~Robert~
                            DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X