Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie to SSW

Hi Everyone.

My name is Fred, I'm 55 and I enjoy woodworking. I have a small wood shop where I create some things for the dear wife. I felt the need to begin a new hobby and scrolling has interested me for years. I have never scolled before but I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here. I have just purchased a Dremel 1800 but it hasn't arrived as of yet, but I'm looking forward to it. As far as scrolling goes, I don't have much to start with except the Saw, 5 doz blades (I know...not enough), the internet and a great interest and willingness to learn something new. Oh...and I love to make sawdust too. I can't wait to see where I am this time next year.

Fred
    Fred

Dremel 1800

Welcome to the forum Fred. I know you will love your new hobby.
    If you have any questions at all I am sure the members here can help you.

Have fun and make lots of dust
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Welcome aboard, Fred. I love your photo. Is there a resemblance?
      What part of Missouri are you from? I have a brother that resides in Nevada and Ozarkhillbilly lives in Rolla.

I started scrolling less than 5 months ago, and man am I addicted. Unlike you, I have no experience with woodworking. Thus, I am a scroll sawyer, not a woodworker. I have learned much on this forum. Actually, if it wasn't for this great bunch of people here, I would never have purchased my first scrollsaw. I'm now on my third. These members can and will answer pretty much any question you can come up with. Heck, I can even answer a few questions myself now.

You'll enjoy it here and be sure to post photos of your finished work, regardless what you think of it. My first attempt was kind of rough and very simple but the encouragement I received motivated me to continue to expand my scrolling horizons.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Welcome aboard!!! One of the things about scrolling that I like so much is that it's easy to learn, and with a little practice you can get good results, which encourages you to keep cutting, giving you more practice, and soon you're an expert doleing out all that you've learned!!!

This place IS a great resource; if I'm working on an article, and have a question, this is one of the first places I turn!

Again, welcome aboard!!!

Bob Duncan
        Technical Editor
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hi Fred and welcome. What the others have said is very true - there is a lot of expertise and some very helpful people on here. No one ever makes you feel stupid answering even what might seem to them silly questions ..

I've learnt a lot - just found out for instance that there's a place called Fair Play in Missouri ... I read the header of your post even if Mike didn't

Must admit place names fascinate me and there are some very strange ones scatted round the world ...:-)
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

What do you say?

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. I look forward to the opportunity to get with you guys to gain knowledge. I have an update to my saw purchase you may enjoy.

Well the UPS man came today and I was excited. I knew the Dremel 1800 was on the truck. Sure enough there it was. He even helped me carry it to the shed. What a guy. Well I had to finish work before I could play. Well 5 o'clock came and out I went. Pulled it from the box, assembled it going by the book. Put the plug into the socket, the little light came on.....and smoke came out of every crack in the motor housing....nothing. Needless to say. CRAP! Now how do I apply that word? As an expression of my dissapointment? Or as description of the item in question? Oh well...I called to return and ordered another one. But I am still looking forward to the first pile of sawdust made with my new saw.
            Last edited by Fred Peterson; 11-08-2006, 08:15 PM.
            Fred

Dremel 1800

Comment

Welcome to the board, Fred. Sorry to hear about the saw troubles. That's frustrating, especially when you are so eager to get started. Hope your replacement arrives soon. Gotta start working on those Christmas projects!
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Welcome to the group Fred That really bites about your saw ......hopefully they can get you another quickly and you can jump on in. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. There are some pretty sharp blades in this group and they have been an immense help to me
                ......enjoy
                ...~Robert~
                DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Welcome Aboard

Hi Fred, welcome to the family. This is the best bunch to learn from and I am quite sure that you can already teach some of us some things also. You said that you want to see where you are in a year. Try saving a couple of your first projects for even a couple of months and compare them to what you are cutting then. Again Welcome, Steve
                  If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                  My Gallery
                  [email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by Jimern
                    The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                    Today, 06:29 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by will8989
                    The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                    Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                    Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                    Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X