Howdy Ya'll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy Ya'll

Newbie here. just bought a craftsman 16" variable speed and have tried a couple of patterns. I find not only can't I cut a straight line, but I can't can't stay on a curve either. So I think maybe I'll just do cuts depicting water !!!!! I sure hope it gets better, I'm goin broke buyin wood!!
    Jack

welcome wildman , your skill will get better at scroll-sawing

Comment

Welcome Jack... You've got the right attitude. Try not to cut on the line but imagine where the line should be - just mess'in with you. For real though - look ahead of your cut like you would driving on a curve and it'll be easier to stay on the line. Start with simple patterns - animal puzzles perhaps, where staying exactly on the line isn't all that important and you'll get there. Good luck and post pictures.
      Douglas Fraser
      Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Hi. I'm the same, new saw a few days ago.

Have been messing about with 20mm pine, 12mm Baltic Birch and 3mm mdf as I have plenty of these as offcuts.

Using a pencil, I draw a jigsaw type shape on the corner of a piece of scrap. Then I try to follow the line.

Nibbling away like this makes the materials last longer and I can almost follow a jigsaw type curve in 12mm ply IF the speed is s-l-o-w.
        John

Comment

Welcome Jack! I am by no means an expert; started scrolling in March. But, after taking advice from many of the members here, my scrolling has greatly improved. For example, make sure your blade tension is good(nor more than 1/8" movement from side to side), don't push the wood into the blade (let the blade do the cutting), maintain good speed( I run about 3/4), and as Doug said, look ahead to see where you are headed. Also, for some strange reason, I do not sit directly in front of blade, I sit a little to the right because the blades seem to want to veer to the right. Anyway, hope this helps and don't get discouraged because you will improve with practice.

Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas

Comment

Welcome Jack! Yes, practice and reading the tips on this forum is what you need. One tip you REALLY want to follow while you're practicing is to find wooden stuff that people throw away or donate to second-hand shops - dressers, old shelving units, trays, whatever -- tear those apart and do your practicing on that stuff! You've got the right attitude and know when to ask questions, so HAVE FUN!

Comment

Hey folks, Thanks so much for all the replies. I'll post a couple of pictures of my first project. PLEASE don't laugh too hard. I know they need a lot more work to be good but it was a lot of fun. Besides the antlers were insane to do !!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the group Jack!

If you have any cabinet or woodworking type shops near you stop in and ask them for some scraps, also keep an eye open on trash day for tables, dressers, .....etc. Free wood is always the best for practicing on.
                Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Badger,
                  Great idea. I'm gonna have to check around...Thanks.
                  Jack

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X