No announcement yet.

A great forum .... a great hobby .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great forum .... a great hobby .....

I've taken a great deal of satisfaction in making antique clock replicas for pretty much 30 years now.

I've attached a couple pictures of one of my last projects. The good looking ladies are my wife and the better half of life-long friends during installation in their home.

Most patterns and the related hardware have come from Murray Clock Craft: grandfather clock kits . They've always gone to family and friends, but now that they've all been looked after, and I'm well into retirement, I've started to wonder about perhaps making a little pocket money. Larger clocks are not money-makers - way too much time and money to make them.

But now that I've discovered the scroll saw I see a lot of opportunity:
    • it is about as relaxing an activity as I've ever come across
    • I can spend more time in the workshop - as my knees have grown older my time spent in the workshop has grown shorter - until I discovered the scroll saw - and realized I can sit down!
    • it is an inexpensive hobby - instead of buying massive volumes of expensive hardwood - |I'm pretty sure I have years of scrolling ahead of me just using up the scraps of past projects!
    • I can keep my workshop clean .... bigger clocks take up bigger space - scrollwork does not .... for the first time I can manage multiple projects and still keep the place looking organized (sort of ....)
    • there is a never ending supply of incredible patterns - many are free - and the rest are inexpensive.
    • a single project does not take months to complete.
    • there is a great supply of knowledge, information and advice in this forum on any scrolling problem that I can possibly imagine .....
    What is not to love about scrolling?
    I'm really looking forward to having a long relationship with this forum.

Thanks,

Jay

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post/request/question.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM.

Nice to see your enthusiasm. Welcome to the family.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Omigosh - what outstanding work you did on those clocks -- they're just beautiful! I really love your listing of all the "plus" points for scroll sawing. I look forward to seeing some of your projects! And you seem to be a really nice person - glad to have you here!

Comment

Thanks so much - to avoid any confusion I should point out that I've already been warmly welcomed to the forum - I originally started this thread in the "Beginners" forum to explain my fresh transition from an "old" hobby (big expensive clocks) to a "new" hobby (scrollsaw projects) - I started scrolling earlier this year - enjoy it a lot - now have have two clocks under my belt with pictures posted elsewhere on this forum. I've a number of other projects in the wings ......

Sorry for any confusion ........

Jay

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
          Reply to Farmers market
          by Rolf
          Well that is good news! You really have a nice collection of items love the Wolf. I just might have to make a few pepper mills. And test our market.
          it will be interesting to see how my consignment sales will be. They were this weekend and again next weekend. I will know after that when I pick...
          Today, 09:04 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Recommendations anyone?
          by Rolf
          Food for thought, When I first started scrolling my thinking was "all I want to do is this and I will never do that as it doesn't interest me". I didn't know I would be working with SSWWC or get sucked into creating Intarsia or doing large intricate fretwork, like Charles Hand designs....
          Today, 08:54 AM
        • old fa_t
          Reply to Recommendations anyone?
          by old fa_t
          Thank you all for giving me a little more to consider. I thought I had covered everything in my mind until others chimed in!
          At least at this point in life, I'm not under a time constraint.
          Today, 07:37 AM
        • Jim McDonald
          Reply to Farmers market
          by Jim McDonald
          Just read an article from Indianapolis where small businesses are reporting great sales.
          Glad you made out well and Bruce got to be salesman for a while.
          Yesterday, 10:07 PM
        • daveswoodworking
          Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
          by daveswoodworking
          Got mine ornament from NcScroller yesterday...
          Yesterday, 06:53 PM
        Working...
        X