wood for novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood for novice

this is not a complain but I can not afford to buy Baltic plywood at today pricing, will wall paneling be a good wood to start with ? I will introduce myself later if this is okay
    Last edited by ray hampton; 06-09-2012, 08:04 PM. Reason: ps " later

Use whatever you can lay your hands on. I do use some BB but I use more cheap stuff from wherever. I absolutely love found and free wood. For me scrounging stock is part of the fun.
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I think wall paneling will be a bit splintery to cut and the grooves that most of it has might interfere with the patterns, but give it a try...especially if it is free. Let us know how it works out.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Welcome to the group.

I agree with George and Rob. Paneling will splinter on you but if you have it on hand and just want to practice cutting it will work. Just about anything will work for practice cutting, but when you feel comfortable enough to attempt a project try to find a piece of wood that will do the project justice.
        Good luck and happy scrolling!
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Welcome to the group.
          I'm with oily ,any found wood is great.
          It is even better when it is delivered by friends to the house.
          Good luck.
          Larry

Comment

You'll want to be aware that it is harder to work with the thinner woods - it will seem like you have to hold it down harder than heavier wood, and your blade will zip through it more quickly so that it's MUCH harder to follow your pattern line.

I found that quarter-inch stuff was easier for me to work with - poplar is easy to work with. I would stay away from pine - you cut very easily for a bit until you get to a grain, where it slows down, so it's really hard to cut smooth curves, which need to be fed at pretty much a constant rate.

Good luck!

Comment

1/4" luan plywood is cheap and the big building supply stores can cut the 4x8 sheets down to smaller pieces to fit in your automobile. Although it's not the ideal wood for most projects, you can still get some passable results, and it's a darn good wood for learning to scroll with. I have used it as the bottom piece when stack cutting fine detailed work, as a throwaway piece, and ended up sanding the luan and using that too. Just be prepared to embark on the journey into a very enjoyable, satisfying, and rewarding craft, that bring out your hidden artist.
              Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

Found wood is really great stuff. Watch for what neighbors are tossing out by the curb. You will find old dressers, table tops, shelving cabinets etc. Be wary of free pallets, although it is good wood you never know what was shipped on them and it could be toxic chemicals. So just be careful. Have fun is the most important thing and you will be amazed at what free wood is available out there. Welcome aboard!
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Watch on trash day when folks through out used furniture. dressers and such have a plywood backer on them the sides are usually 1/2" or 3/4" solid wood and the tops can be good wood also. It just takes some time to disassemble it and you have free wood. If there are doors you can get free hardware also.

Comment

To look for wood, I did a lot of dumpster diving. Also when there are builing a house I would go and ask the contractor for scraps. They always gave me premission to look in the trash bin,
                    FD Mike
                    SD Mike

Comment

When I do order BB I use these guys. Best price I've found so far
                      Ocooch Hardwoods - Supplier of Wood for Scroll Sawing, Carving Stock, Intarsia wood, Plywood for scroll sawing, and more.
                      Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

You just need to understand that wall paneling won't give you good results. It may be OK to practice with, but poor results may lead to frustration and perhaps premature abandonment of the hobby.

Another potential source of scavenged wood is custom cabinet shops. Often they have odd sized cut-offs of cabinet grade plywood that they can't use and normally burn or toss in the dumpster. If there are any handy to you, they may be willing to let you take some of their scrap.
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thanks for the tips, I will try the 1/4 plywood

Comment

Don't worry too much about the stock you use. The end result is the meter and you are the judge. There is nothing more satisfying than selling someones trash back to them. Keep cuttin' and have fun
                            Not be from Lunch.

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

Comment

I usually buy from the sale bin. There always is some BB on sale because the sides have been damaged. Because I make small things I always manage to work around the damages.
                              Diane
                              Dragon
                              Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                              Owner of a Dewalt 788
                              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X