Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprentice with no Master

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forums over the last several months but this is my second post. I am 27, am in the Navy and I wanted to have a hobby where I can use my patience and my attention to detail to make things and work out a little stress at the same time. So I was looking at scroll saws on Amazon for about a year before I finally decided I should buy one. I did my research and ended up with Dewalt 788. I scrolled my first project a few days ago. I know you guys are serious about pictures so I will post some very shortly. My first project went so well I decided to go for another more intricate one and I will post pictures as I go. Anyways look forward to conversing with all of you at one point or another. See you guys around =)

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

You are right - we thrive on pictures. Mike doesn't usually tell people twice in the same post, so he is really serious here! LOL Welcome to the forum.
        T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome aboard from a former sailor. Sounds as though you are off to a great start.

Comment

First Thank for your service to the country. That goes for all service men and women past and present.

Second welcome to the group. There are a whole bunch of talented people here that can offer help tips and incouragement but we also can use your help too. So if you have an answer to a question on the forum please type in...

Comment

Thank you and your shipmates for serving.
              We will bbe waiting too see some of the scrollsawing that you will be doing

Comment

While no one on this board would actually claim to be a master--we are all students learning from one another--there is enough knowledge and help here for you to "master" your possibilities and abilities.

Stick around long enough and you will find yourself pushing boundaries and doing things you only dream about today. I started doing simple outline cutting and was happy at that and then I found out about fretwork and had a blast. I've tried a couple segmentations, but need to practice to get it the way I know I CAN do. Just keep finding fretwork and word art to keep me busy.

There are no dumb questions on the board and we have all made the mistakes that you are about to encounter. Trick is to learn from the mistakes and take the advise here to heart.

Above all, do not get discouraged. As you practice and get more of a feel for the wood-saw-blade combination, the more comfortable you will be.

At 1600+ posts and hundreds of hours on my saws, I learn something almost every time I come by here or pick up a magazine.
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome guys, after following the board for these past few months I didn't expect anything less. I am having a blast already. Great to be here, and hopefully I get to work in my wood shop tomorrow.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by Chuck Hans
                    Congrats on all accounts,
                    I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                    Yesterday, 08:51 PM
                  • cwmagee
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by cwmagee
                    Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                    Yesterday, 03:36 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                    Yesterday, 02:56 PM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by NC Scroller
                    I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                    Yesterday, 11:24 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by NC Scroller
                    Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                    Yesterday, 11:18 AM
                  Working...
                  X