Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old guy... Or is it old new guy?

Greetings,

I have been scrolling "off and on" for 25 years. I have mainly focused on names, name peg boards and other "craft show" type scrolling. My most favorite scrolling is taking someone's personal signature and turning it into a pen desk set.

I have an old RBI Hawk 220 that I picked up in a garage sale a few years ago and that is my main saw. I first started with a RBI 14" saw (can't remember the model) it was all I could afford at the time. After selling that one I "down graded to a Delta 16" Home Depot special that cut suprizinigly well for an inexpensive saw. I used that one so much I broke an arm on the first one (saw replaced for free - thanks Home Depot) then broke blade holder(s) on the second one.

I knew that I needed to upgrade "back" to a quality saw. Along the way I had used a Hegner and loved the way it cut, ease of blade changes etc. but I couldn't justify the expense at the time. So I started hunting for a used Hawk and ended up with the old Hawk 220 that is now my current saw. I have done a few upgrades to her but the base saw is solid.

Anyway - hello from the old new guy!

Hello and welcome new guy! Glad you've found us, do you have a first name? It's a little bit easier....
    Frieke
    www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Whatever you decide your name to be, Welcome "a-board". I am curious and would love to see one of your signature desk sets, you have me wondering how that is accomplished.
      Posting project photos is not mandatory here, but sure appreciated. Come by often, with that many years of scrolling, you must have lots of tips and tricks up your sleeve. Willing to share some?
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Oh great another ol' fart like me. LOL
          Welcome friend. You won't find a better bunch of folks than right here on this forum, they even put up with me.
          Like WD mentioned your signature desk set sounds interesting. Could you give us a pic of a couple and some tips?
          Never be afraid to ask or critique.
          May the wind at you back .....
          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

(many) years ago, I saw a fellow do the signatures "normal size" at a show. It was just a novelty because I think he was selling saws (can't remember what brand).

So, I thought what a great idea if I did one "desk-set" size. In the late eighties, I sold so many that I kept raising the price till I stopped getting orders... made those orders and stopped doing them. I got transferred to New England from Ohio (where I had sold them) and one enterprising doctor even tracked me down there. (pre-internet days that was hard to do) I politely told him that I was no longer scrolling and he then said, "name your price" it is for a colleague who is retiring and it would be a nice present. Alas, I told him that I no longer even owned a saw and couldn't help him. I never forgot that phone conversation.

Within a couple years, I met a woman who had the most fantastic handwriting that I had ever seen. I exclaimed at how beautiful it was and that I just had to make her a desk-set! Thankfully, she didn't run away screaming and yelling. As a matter of fact, she became my bride a few years later. BTW, I did make the desk-set using the cheap Delta saw.

Now we are in sunny North Carolina and my kids are teens. I just love to scroll and look forward to doing even more.

As soon as I can find it, I will post a pic here. It's the only one I have left. I have sold (obviously) all the others that I made... And, of course, never thought to take pictures!

Comment

Thanks for coming back, perhaps you can describe your method of creating a pattern from a signature. Looking forward to that picture.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X