Dogwood lumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogwood lumber

I had a large dogwood tree cut into 1" x 8" x 6' lumber. I plan to cut out some crosses with my scroll saw. Anyone have any suggestions about dogwood usage? What finish did you use? I have recently retired and am new to woodworking. Any help would be appreciated.

I use a lot of dogwood to make canes and hiking staffs. It is a very pretty wood but extremely hard. It holds detail very well when carving it. It doesn't take stain very well. Did I mention it is hard!! I finish mine with multiple coats of Deft brushing lacquer.
    Good luck with it.
    Don R
    http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
    http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
    Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

Thanks Don.

Comment

I use a lot of pink dogwood in intarsia. As Don mentioned, it's hard. Since I avoid staining anything, that's no problem.

Jan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
          Reply to My beauties
          by will8989
          Looks like glass with the sun shining through it....
          Today, 08:08 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to My beauties
          by will8989
          He puts biscuts between the long pieces, is that what you meant? He has stainless screws in the lips then puts the plugs on top of that. Scott, cutting one doesn’t take long. It’s the removing of the tiny drill hole, spraying each piece with distilled water, letting dry, sanding and sometimes flap...
          Yesterday, 10:55 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
          by Rolf
          Like Bob said clamp a straight edge to the table and adjust it to compensate for the blade drift. There are some blades that have no or very little drift. Like the Olson PGT series it also seems to me that the Pegas MGT 3 or larger cut very straight....
          Yesterday, 07:54 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to My beauties
          by Rolf
          I now you do beautiful work but I have to say your attention to details on these baskets is impressive. soft smooth edges, no visible glue squeeze out. And of course the cutting boards are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce cut a spline in the end of the board and then dowels. I have not seen that...
          Yesterday, 07:49 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to My beauties
          by NC Scroller
          You are one busy lady. About how long does it take to cut one?
          Yesterday, 05:51 AM
        Working...
        X