Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to scroll sawing

Hello all,

I am a long time tinker and have many hobbies, after taking the plunge on a new Excalibur EX-30 I will be adding scroll sawing to the list. I have always enjoyed working with wood and now that my son is 7 I am getting back into it with him which is very exciting for both of us. I am still working out the design/ layout of my stand, I can't wait to get that behind me and move on to learning the art of the scroll saw. Wish me luck.

Good luck, and welcome to one fine hobby forum. Great that your son will be sharing the hobby with you. Lots of info around here, come by often and let us know how you are progressing.
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

welcome aboard.feel free to ask questions that you mint have
      Tricia

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. Right now I am in the process of setting up the stand I bought from Seyco. I have built a plywood shelf to hold a small dust collection vacuum and the foot switch when it is not in use, I am working out the details for the dust collection itself (PVC pipe with Loc-Line end tubes and nozzles), sorting out the electrical which will be a single cord for input power and a few on board receptacles (one that is activated by the foot switch and one that is on when the unit is plugged into shop power), I still need to figure out what type of magnification/ light I am going to run and find a comfortable stool.

I also put a plywood base between the stand and replaced all of the nuts with nylon locking nuts, there is nothing I hate worse than dealing with loose hardware on a tool stand. The goal with this project is to create a single plug in unit that is totally complete and ready to run, I work a lot so minimal set up time is critical.

Once I make a little more progress I will post a picture or two.

Comment

Welcome and good luck... you'll really enjoy it!
          Douglas Fraser
          Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome, it is much appreciated. I am hoping to finalize my dust collection details this weekend and get on to the fun stuff. Just out of curiosity where do you reccomend getting patterns from? I have briefly searched the web and even though you get a lot of hits most of them do not result in patterns and of the ones that do have patterns most of them are not all that interesting. Any guidance would be very helpful.

Comment

Try looking in our pattern vault. We have been swamped and do not have all of our patterns in there but there are several hundred to get you started. Depending on type of scrolling you want to do, let us now and we can share links to reputable pattern designers. In addition we have several very gifted and generous designers as members here who will design you a custom pattern as needed.

Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Awesome. Not sure what I am looking for just yet as this is my first scroll saw. I am hoping to get some time on the saw this weekend to play around and get used to it. As far as the patterns are concerned, I am just looking for something to inspire me for my first project. The green intarsia from was really neet but I want to start off with something a little easier.

Comment

Welcome to a great site.
                    Being new, you will find that the blade likes to cut to the right, most blades have a burr on the right side, what makes them cut to the right. To stay on the line, move the wood some degree to the right.
                    Have good tension on the blade. The blade should not move sideways more than 1/8". Have good speed, if not you might have a tendency to push too hard into the blade and the blade will start cutting with a bevel. Let the blade do the cutting they say.
                    FD Mike
                    SD Mike

Comment

I would recommend the Rockler work light.
                      Rockler LED Work Light with Magnifying Head - Rockler Woodworking Tools

A bit pricey, but well worth it. I liked it so much I got another one.
                      One word of caution if you do get one - The magnetic base practically bonds itself to metal, and is very hard to get off or move around once stuck. In fact, I snapped the neck from the base trying to budge it.
                      After that, I stuck a wedge of 1/8 wood between the magnet and the metal, worked out great.
                      Still strongly attracts to metal, but with the wood under it, its easy to slide around if the need arises [and it often will].
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Mine should be here next week I would have just attached it to my saw and been sorry. I ordered one because my lamp sitting next to my ex21 keeps heating up the arm and rendering the blue loctite useless...LOL

Looks like you have 2 lamps on your saw...the rockler doesn't put out enough light?
                        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I just ordered the magnetic LED work light from Rockler which is on sale for $59.99 (14% off). I had to order more Loc-Line for the dust collection, hopefully next weekend I have everything together and have a pattern selected for my first project.

Comment

These guys are awesome

Welcome to the forum, don't worry about being new to scrolling. I am very new myself and these people are very kind and willing to share tips with you. I hope you enjoy the discussions as much as I do.

Welcome and we look forward to hearing from you in the future...

Kindest Regards

Kam

Comment

Welcome! I am anxious to see your set up for your scroll saw!

Tony,aka, Toneman from Paris, Texas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by dottyblues
                                Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                                I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                                In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                                I also added the...
                                Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Supermax
                                by will8989
                                Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Help help
                                by will8989
                                Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                                Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by KarlB
                                Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                                Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                              Working...
                              X