• Show
Clear All

• Charlie_1
    replied
    welcome to the fun

Leave a comment:

• cpowell
    replied
    Thanks all, for the welcome. Scroll3r I appreciate the info on the wood. I started out hacking on some 1/2 inch plywood then switched to a solid wood because of the pine sap or plywood glue, whichever was fast clogging the sander. Today I'll go down and get some thinner pieces to try. I had thought the thicker wood would be better because of it's weight but I was wrong. It just made it difficult. Beginners mistake I guess but I'm learning.

Leave a comment:

• kerry_nf
    replied
    You have certainly come to the right place...very knowledgeable folks here.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Fenton
    replied
    Welcome to the forum cpowell. You should be able to find plenty of info here to help you along and if you have any questions, somebody will always have an answer for you. 1" wood can be a little tough on the scroll saw, even with poplar which is quite soft. I do mostly intricate work and rarely cut anything thicker than 1/2" or so if I don't have to. I almost never cut anything thicker than about 3/4" myself.

As you are beginning to notice, there can be a huge difference in cutting different wood types. Cherry, walnut, soft maple, sapele (often sold as mahogany) for example, are all somewhat harder than poplar. Hard maple (sugar maple), most birch species, and oak are harder still. Then comes ash and hickory, and most exotic hardwoods are even harder than all of these just to give you a rough idea.

Leave a comment:

• Daddy's scroller
    replied
    welcome aboard

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Welcome "a-board" Cpowell glad you found us, we are a diverse group of people from all around the world sharing the same fun hobby. Lots of information here, just read some of the many post and let it sink in. There are some members who generously share patterns they make with us to copy for free, you can find them in the Pattern Vault at this site. Come by often and please do share some photos of your projects, not mandatory to post them but sure appreciated.
    Here is the Pattern Vault link: Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

You can also find patterns,videos, and lessons at Steve Good's site here:
    Scrollsaw Workshop

The main thing is just have fun!

Leave a comment:

• cpowell
    started a topic Hello, I'm Cpowell

Hello, I'm Cpowell

I just started scrolling and just found this board also. I started scrolling a few weeks ago just messing around with some scrap wood. I have tested several blades and changing the speeds on the saw to see what changes happen. I was pretty happy with my results using the thin plywood so I changed to some one inch poplar. I found that thickness and wood type make a big difference which is what brought me here. I want to learn from those who have been doing it and already made all the mistakes.

I'm not young as I am thinking of retiring next year. I have to say that doing this is much better than watching TV and much more interesting, not to mention more satisfying. At least I have something to show for my time.

As for what I want to do that's still up in the air. I don't think I'll be "specializing" any time soon. Right now I'm just learning.

Cpowell

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X