New guy on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy on the block

Just joined up. Brand new to scrolling. So new that I just bought a used saw today. I currently do other woodworking but want to give scrolling a try. Looks like it can be very enjoyable. Please forgive any dumb questions I might ask.
    Thanks
    Eric

Welcome, I'm pretty new around here too but its a great place to get tons of information and motivation. Post some pictures of your stuff once you get up and going.

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Welcome "a-board" jeepguy, no question is dumb. We all learn from questions asked.
        Just remember EVERYONE started from square ONE at one time or another.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. Any ideas for a first project?

Comment

Eric check out the pattern vault here, members who make patterns submitted some of their patterns for all to use. Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Another option is Steve Good's pattern catalog at his site Scrollsaw Workshop

Another place for free patterns by another generous pattern maker is here
            Free Scroll Saw Patterns by Arpop: Scroll Saw Silhouette Patterns

If you have not yet subscribed to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine consider doing so.........lots of info and patterns. You can subscribe right from this site look on the left hand side of this page.

We would love to see what ya make.........just have fun.
            Last edited by Wood Dog; 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Welcome, Eric! Hey, of course you know you help other people feel really smart and useful when you ask questions we can answer! Glad to have you here, and hope you love scroll sawing, too. Whatever you decide as a first project (a trivet would be really good, in my opinon) - be sure to take a photo of it and upload it. HAVE FUN!

Comment

No such thing as dumb questions Eric...welcome!
                Check me out on the web:
                http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

welcome aboard ERIC,
                  just think,....we were all new guys,&girls once,so dont be afraid too join in ,ask questions,.
                  above all enjoy it here,scrolling can be such fun,
                  not doing much
                  and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Thanks so much to all of you for the kind words. You all are a great bunch. I will check out the free patterns and try a few thing. I will also be sure to post pictures.
                    Thanks again
                    Eric

Comment

Eric -- Welcome to the forum. With prior woodworking experience, the scroll saw is a wonderful tool to add to the collection -- and there is a wide variety of things that you can do with it. And the group here is a wonderful collection of folks. I've learned lots here as there are no big egos and folks are willing to take time to answer most any question.
                      Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Welcome, Eric. I hope you enjoy your saw & scrolling. There is a lot here, for you to read, so jump in & learn, by reading. It sure helped me. There are a lot of different directions for you to venture into, like Intarsia, 3D, etc. Just ask away, when you need some info, we will help all we can. Thanks for joining us. Take Care
                        PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                          Today, 12:59 AM
                        • will8989
                          Sundays market
                          by will8989
                          When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                          Today, 12:46 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by will8989
                          I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                          Today, 12:27 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by jim_mex
                          Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                          Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by KarlB
                          Very well done!

Karl
                          Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                        Working...
                        X