noob and hooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob and hooked

Hi everyone. I'm a 65 YO retiree, looking for a new hobby and I had the good fortune to come across a scroll saw book in the library. Reading it in a day, I was impressed at the projects included in the book. After reading the Buyer's Guide on this site, I went out in January and got a Porter Cable 16" saw and started on my first project - a bowl. Pleased with the results, I immediately ordered Carole's scroll saw bowl book. I'm now working on my 5th bowl and I am totally hooked, to the point where I am looking to upgrade to a better saw - possibly the 16" Excalibur. BTW - right after buying the PC saw, I subscribed to Scroll Saw Woodworking. What a great hobby!!

Gary

Welcome to the forum....The place where questions certainly will be answered.....my next upgrade i hope will be the excalibur....fingers crossed

Danny
    Patterns are for sale on my website http://www.intarsia.co.uk

Comment

Welcome. Might as well get the 21 in. Excalibur because that's what you're going to want to do more quickly than you can imagine. Especially if we can lure you over to the Dark Side, otherwise known as Intarsia.

Jan

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Gary welcome to the group.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Welcome "a-board" Gary. Smart move subscribing to the magazine, its one of the best.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gary! Have fun here!
              Frieke
              www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Another one hooked for life. It got me several years ago and I still have look forward to making saw dust. Wait till you venture out into fretwork, intarsia, toys, ornaments, boxes, making your own patterns.........you get the idea I am sure.

Comment

Welcome Gary! I am also new to scrolling and just purchased my first saw about a month ago. I find it to be addictive!! Can;t wait to finish a project so I can begin another! I have learned already to slow down and enjoy making dust! LOL

Tony, aka, Toneman From Paris, Texas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by cwmagee
                    Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                    Today, 03:36 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                    Today, 02:56 PM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by NC Scroller
                    I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                    Today, 11:24 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by NC Scroller
                    Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                    Today, 11:18 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by jim_mex
                    Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                    Today, 09:17 AM
                  Working...
                  X