Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New scroller with an acquired vintage scrollsaw

Hello,
    Name is Ed. I am somewhat new to the scrollsaw world. I do some woodcarving, lot of wood cutting, and took on a new challenge. I just rescued a 1950's 40-110 16" scrollsaw. Took it to the bare bones, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Surprised to find that it worked when i started it up (it was found in the dump and looked very sad). not sure what blades to get for it to see if it saws. Anyone out there have any ideas? Looking forward to the chat site. My first time doing this sort of socializing and info hunting. EdwardMc51

Originally posted by EdwardMc51 View Post
    Hello,
    Name is Ed. I am somewhat new to the scrollsaw world. I do some woodcarving, lot of wood cutting, and took on a new challenge. I just rescued a 1950's 40-110 16" scrollsaw. Took it to the bare bones, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Surprised to find that it worked when i started it up (it was found in the dump and looked very sad). not sure what blades to get for it to see if it saws. Anyone out there have any ideas? Looking forward to the chat site. My first time doing this sort of socializing and info hunting. EdwardMc51
    Welcome aboard Ed.

I'm assuming it's a Rockwell. I found a link for one here

VintageMachinery.org - Photo Index - Rockwell Manufacturing Co. - scroll saw 40-110

Is that it?

How about a picture of it.

Ben

Comment

Yes, that is the one. I am not sure if it is a Rockwell or a Delta. The photos on the web site you posted looks exactly like it. The serial number tag is missing. No identification marks or names are on it.

Comment

Ed

Click on the link I sent. Click his name then click send message and ask him what blade he uses.

Ben

Comment

Thank you for the info. I just sent a message. Will see where it goes from here. Ed

Comment

Ed -- welcome to the forum! I love those old machines. Maybe as I get older I appreciate old machinery even more.
            Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Mtnman Jim,
              East Coast or West Coast Mountain Man? Myself, living in the Maine Appalacian Mt. and love it. Collecting and using older hand tools and saving the electric toys for the younger woodworkers. Except for the 40-110 a 10" table saw and drill press I use hand tools as much as I possibly can. Love it more and more.

Ben12,
              Thank you for the help. Got what I needed and on my way to see what the scroll saw will do.

Happy Wood Chuck'n
              Ed

Comment

Hello from NYC

I'm posting for the first time and would like to extend my greetings to all on the boards.
                Hello to Ed and Ben. Thanks for your posts on the Delta/Rockwell saw. Ironically I have the same machine. Bought it at a yard sale about 10 years ago for 100. bucks with a motor and in good condition. I cleaned and oiled it and used it extensively for a year. It performs very well for a vintage machine and worth every penny. I was able to get a copy of the original owner's sheet (manual) from Delta as well.
                J

Comment

Ed -- I'm out west in Arizona. I've been in Maine several times and appreciate the beauty there.

I admire folks who do it, however, I'm too lazy (and too uncoordinated) for a lot of hand tool work. But a lot of my power tools are old.
                  Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                    Today, 11:39 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                    Today, 11:36 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                    Today, 11:32 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by NC Scroller
                    I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                    Today, 11:30 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    That insert definitely is an issue they need to bring up to the standards and quality of the rest of the machine!

I did the modification they recommended on mine so it wouldn't rub the blade. And, sure enough their supplied blade had blown out 2 of the tips on the teeth because of the...
                    Today, 11:25 AM
                  Working...
                  X