DW 788 alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW 788 alternative

Hi, I have been using the DW 788 saws for about 10 years and was wondering whether there is another saw which is significantly better. Thanks.

Ed

Ed

Most of the 788 users are upgrading to the Excalibur Ex-21 but there are other saws out there also such as Hegner, Hawk, and the Eclipse it just depends on what features you want and how much your willing to spend.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Hi Tim, the features that I am looking for are easy, tool-less blade changes and for inside cuts and smooth operation. I have two DW 788's and both are showing their age with excessive vibrations.

Ed

Comment

I have a dw788 that i have been using for over 12 years. I had some issues due to age of the saw and have recently upgraded to the ex21, and have seen a significant difference between the 2 saws. Quieter, less front to back motion on the blade stroke which has allowed me to do even finer cuts on fretwork. If you can afford the price difference I'd say upgrade. One new issue for the current dw788 which we understand will be discontinued and replaced with the delta clone is that the tables are not always flat and true, and the blade insertion hole in the table may be off set a small amount. If you get another dw788 or the delta clone check the table at the store first.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I've had 2 DeWalts. First one lasted over 10 years and still works (Type 1) Unfortunately newer DeWalts are a crap shoot. I got 3 - 2nd ones and all were crap. It still works but isn't a pleasure to use. Just bought an Excalibur 30" at Christmas and so far have been very happy with it. I bought it based on other people's opinion and their happiness with it. It seems to be very well built - but haven't had it long enough yet to know for myself.
          Janette
          www.square-designs.com

Comment

I used a DW 788 in a wood shop where we lived for a while. It was OK, and when I decided to get a saw of my own, I considered one. Because the EX-21 sitting next to it had the lovely feature of tilting the saw head instead of the table for bevel cuts, I decided on that one and I'm really glad I did. That's partly because of the number of complaints I've seen here about the Type 2 DeWalts, but mostly because after a couple of years of use the saw is vibration free as it can possibly get and continues on trouble free as well. I've been known to sit a cup of coffee on the saw table, forget it's there and start sawing. The coffee cup doesn't move.

If you consider an Excalibur saw, by all means contact Ray Seymore at Seyco. His customer service is over the top and he knows more about the saw than anyone else on earth.

Jan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by cwmagee
              I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
              Today, 05:39 PM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to New tools
              by jim_mex
              Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
              Today, 05:26 PM
            • Rolf
              Reply to New tools
              by Rolf
              Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
              My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
              Today, 04:32 PM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Big week here
              by Rolf
              Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
              Today, 04:19 PM
            • jim_mex
              New PC keyboard has an error
              by jim_mex
              Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
              Today, 03:47 PM
            Working...
            X