Hi from Syracuse, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Syracuse, NY

Just got a new Delta 40-690 for $470 and the $17 foot pedal from "ACME tools" (now the 40-695 is coming out - arg!). I bought Johnson's paste wax at Lowe's ($4.50, versus it was $7 at HD), but have not used it yet. I have not put the saw & stand together but will today. I think I'm supposed to clean the table first though to get the rust inhibitor stuff off it.

I'm going to post in the Tools forum with my questions and ideas.

- Eric

I used wd-40 to get rid of the rust inhibitor way back when i got my saw. Then the paste wax periodically now for 13-14 years.

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome, Eric Hope you enjoy scrolling on your new saw. Come meet some members of this forum at the Showcase 2012 Woodworking Show in Saratoga Springs, NY at the end of March. For details, check out the Upcoming Events category. Just head east on I 90. Dick
      Dick Miraglia

Comment

Eric
        We hope to see you at the show in Saratoga. We are all meeting on Friday night at 8 at the Dunkin Donut
        Diane
        Dragon
        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
        Owner of a Dewalt 788
        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Hi Eric ! You be like 2 hours east of me
          If possiable you should come to the show in Saratoga Springs ,NY
          Showcase 2011 Home
          David
          Excalibur 21

Comment

I'll ask my woodworker friend if he's going to the show. I've been to Brockport a handful of times (and played against them in HS football) - I'm from Batavia. Super snowy Syracuse (Lockheed Martin) was the closest engineering job I could find after college during the 91-93 recession. Coincidentally, I'm working in the same building my father worked in (GE back then - on rt 90) when they lived in Syracuse. They moved to Batavia two years before I was born.
            I'm into electric R/C planes, but don't like to build them truthfully (most of us prefer flying to building). The scroll saw will come in handy for that. I'll be making a pinewood derby car on it the next two weekends. I borrowed a friend's woeful Ryobi last year, which is why I bought a good saw, and want it to last a l o n g time.

Comment

Oops. Forgot to mention that I could not find mineral spirits, paint thinner, or denatured alcohol. Could have sworn I had mineral spirts, but then again, that was eons ago. I have WD40 though, and kerosene, so I ought to be OK. Well, I better get off this time wasting device. I put the stand together and want to carry it to the basement and put the saw on it tonight.

thanks,
              Eric

Comment

I would not use kerosene as it will leave behind an oily residue which can be transferred to your wood.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I hesitate to use WD40 for the same reason - not sure if it leaves a residue/lubrication.

I got the saw on the table in the basement. Just have to attach the light, clean & wax the table, then install it.

The saw has one part that's not in the pictures, so I'm a bit confused....part #89 at the bottom of this parts list (I later found it in the 40-690 parts list on the same site):
                  http://scrollsawvideo.com/wp-content...walt-788-2.png

It's called the "lower guard". What's it for - too keep your fingers from straying under the table? Guard,Lower [286328-00] - $4.88 at eReplacementParts.com

You can see it attached to the lower-front of the dw788 frame here: http://www.scrollsawreviews.biz/wp-c.../12/Dewalt.jpg

Searching around, it seems some saws did not come with it but others did? http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/gen...-saw/27876.htm

According to the link above, people have left it on because it does not get in their way.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Farmers market "survey"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                    Today, 11:14 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                    Today, 11:00 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                    Today, 09:57 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Rolf
                    So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                    I like the fact...
                    Today, 08:34 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  Working...
                  X