Newbie in Cornwall UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Cornwall UK

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures. You will find we are not a judgmental group.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Nic and welcome to the forum.

You're right with scrollsaws you get what you pay for. One of the biggest bugbears with saws this side of the pond is the type of blades the saw takes. It's quite common over here to get saws that take "pin end" blades. These are "OK" but you don't get the variety of blades with "pin end" also for internal cuts you need a 6mm access hole to get the blade in. For some patterns that's a show stopper. I'm not sure of the type of thing you do, whether that matters or not.

The next issue is the way the blades are attached to the saw. If you need tools every time you put the blade in - it becomes a bit of a drag.

After that youre pretty much paying for the comfort of the ride - vibration variable speed, etc.

I bought my Excalibur from Axminster, they're a decent company.

Good Luck
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Comment

welcome aboard nic,im from ireland,and we have the same problem here ,finding a cheap decent saw,i started off with a scheppach deko tronic,which was a cheap budget model,but i found it too be a good saw,it had variable speed,the blade clamps took pinned and pinless blades,
          on the down side i found the blade clamps that came with the saw were not up too scratch and i replace them with a clamp that was tightened by hand ,not with a allen key,which the originals were.anyway i had this saw for about 3 years and had no problems with it,i have now moved up too a hegner
          not doing much
          and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Welcome aboard Nic.I have a Scheppach,
            Learning the art of scroll saw.

Comment

I bought my EX16 from Axminster Power Tools, it was really smooth running no vibration and a real pleasure to work with. After about 2 1/2 weeks when I started it on about 1/4 speed it gave a couple of loud knocks and juddered badly then ran fine for the rest of the cut, but in the next cut with the speed back up to about 1/2 it was vibrating very badly. I comtacted Axminster about it and they said they would change it for me in the new year as they couldnt get it collected before. I offered to drive up with the saw from Newquay and they said If I did that they would change it for me. I took it up last Friday (23rd) not only did they change it for me they unboxed the new one and set everything up so it ran sweet for me. Thats what you call back up service. I would recommend Axminster to buy your saw from whichever model you go for

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                by NC Scroller
                Only our riend Jim....😂😂😂
                Today, 06:24 AM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              Working...
              X