Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New... First Post and questions.

Hello,

I am new to scrolling and have wanted to scroll for years but couldn't convince my husband that my having a saw was worthwhile. An instructor of mine was kind enough to give me an old Dremel 1680 that was mounted on a board and I have been using it the past 6 months or so. It vibrates a lot and it stalls multiple times during a project and often cannot be restarted for a few hours after it stalls.

Anyway, I finally convinced my husband and he said I could maybe get a nice saw. I have been looking on the gently used market. I love the Excalibur tilting arms but I found a 10 year old EX30-VS (the black one on a stand) for $600 with very few hours on it as it hasn't been used much at all... only a few times. I know that Excaliburs were supposed to be good saws even before the new design with General but I don't know if it would be a worthwhile purchase or not. I am seeking advice from those of you older and wiser scrollers about whether you think I would be making a mistake or not. Please give you input.

Thank you,

Siouxgirl

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.

Personal opinion $600 is a bit steep for a used saw.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thank you for your opinion. I also found (way back) some posts about the saw and I have concerns about upgrades and getting replacement parts. I guess I'll pass. Maybe someday, somewhere I'll find the right saw. Thanks again.

Comment

I think that if you have $600 to spend on a saw, I would get an excalibur 16(? the one smaller than the 21). I thought I saw a posting saying there was free shipping until the end of December? Check out the website for the saws and see what they are offering right now.
        T
        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

For $600 you can get a brand new Dewalt or Delta with cash left over for a nice stack of blades. Buy Flying Dutchman. I started with that Dremel saw. It was OK. Keep watching your local Craigslist. I have to admit I have never seen an EX on Craigslist but I have seen all the other brands.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Welcome Siouxgirl. As you can see, folks are helpfull here. I have to agree, buy new

Regis
            An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

Thanks for youR advice.

After the dremel saw died for good, we determined the switch was bad and it finally quit all together. We are trying to find and fix the switch but my husband got me a nice new EX-21 for Christmas. I am pretty excited and happy about it but I think I got a defective table top. It had a 2 1/2" scratch in the finish of the table and I talked to Ray who was great and is going to send me a new table top.

Just lightly trying it since yesterday (after putting paste wax on) the table finish is all scratched up just from the wood. I wouldn't think that the table finish should be that soft. Has anyone heard of that happening? Everything else on the saw seems to be working just great but I'm getting used to it.

You all have been most helpful and welcoming... thank you again.

Comment

In your first post, I was about to get a little irritated at your husband for putting you off about getting you a scrollsaw and making you work with an old broken down thing. I thought, "What a stingy old man she has to put up with!"

Then the post where he got you the EX-21....well he has redeemed himself in my eyes. Not such a bad guy after all.
                He was just putting you off until Christmas could get here!
                Hope you enjoy your new saw and get the table problem worked out.
                I don't have my scrollsaw yet, but I've had a bandsaw and have done woodcrafts for years...and have enjoyed it. Haven't done anything now in a long time but trying to get back into it by fixing up my shop and getting a new scroll saw soon.

Originally posted by Siouxgirl View Post
                Thanks for youR advice.

After the dremel saw died for good, we determined the switch was bad and it finally quit all together. We are trying to find and fix the switch but my husband got me a nice new EX-21 for Christmas. I am pretty excited and happy about it but I think I got a defective table top. It had a 2 1/2" scratch in the finish of the table and I talked to Ray who was great and is going to send me a new table top.

Just lightly trying it since yesterday (after putting paste wax on) the table finish is all scratched up just from the wood. I wouldn't think that the table finish should be that soft. Has anyone heard of that happening? Everything else on the saw seems to be working just great but I'm getting used to it.

You all have been most helpful and welcoming... thank you again.

Comment

Congrats on your new saw. Don't worry about the finish on the table. It's just paint and will scratch. Use a good paste wax that has no water in it and it will protect the table. Expect the scratches, tho. It's not going to affect the quality of cutting.

You're going to have such fun with this new saw. Make lots of sawdust!

Jan

Comment

Hi Greetings and Happy New Year from N.J.---Congrats on your new saw-- I too am using a Dremel--- w/ little or no problems--- I use mine mostly for making boxes, & small toy cars

ORG

Comment

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for the table. I really think there is more wrong with the table finish. I understand some scratched but very soft wood on for 10 seconds scratches the table even with paste wax. The first scratch was deep and into the steel which makes catching the wood a possibility as it creates a rough area. I never had this problem with any table before. It says the table is baked powder coating but I don't think it baked at all as it flakes off with light touch and no nails or even a hard wood. I'm talking poplar which is pretty soft. I haven't heard on the new table though as it was supposed to be shipped yesterday. I may have to follow up to see where the tracking number is.

Yes, I am happy that I have a new saw finally. It was hard to have the saw stop for a day or two right in the middle of my project. I hope we can find a switch though and still fix the old saw and I hope the new saw provides years of frustration free service.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Comment

Hello and thanks for replies and warm welcome. I am excited about the new saw and am waiting table but I haven't received my tracking number. I really feel this table has issues (I realize it is paint but it says it's baked teflon over steel). The original scratch was into the steel creating a rough surface even with paste wax for wood to catch on.

The other scratches happen just by setting wood on it and barely moving it. I was using poplar so it isn't even a hard wood. I don't have any nails or anything in the wood and just rotating the wood created scratches through the surface within a few minutes. I've never seen a table of any saw I own that scratches so readily and my husband has looked at it as well and thinks there is something wrong with the table finish itself. Perhaps it wasn't baked at all. If it is to scratch that readily, why is the paint even put on?

Are all the Excalibur tables on this forum that soft? I really like the saw itself so far.

Again, thank you for all the welcome.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                          Farmers market "survey"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                          I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                          For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                          Today, 11:14 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                          Today, 11:00 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                          Today, 09:57 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                          I like the fact...
                          Today, 08:34 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                          Today, 08:17 AM
                        Working...
                        X