Aurora, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora, CO

Hi everyone. New guy here from Aurora, CO. I grew up learning scrollwork from my dad. He mostly did Christmas ornaments and easy intarsia. Im hoping to take what Ive learned and improve 10 fold.

Also, if anyone is in my area and can rip a board into 2 boards of thin stock for me, please let me know. Thanks!

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Bob, I do my resawing with my table saw.
      1) cut a thin (about 1/8"x1"x 24") strip from a piece of scrap.
      The max length I do is 24"
      2) Raise your blade about an inch and stand your piece on edge and center it on your blade and set your fence.
      3) Cut both edges of your piece keeping the same side to the fence when you flip sides
      4) Repeat this raising the blade about an inch each time
      5) When you get close to the final cut slip your thin strip in the cut and hang onto that side for your final cut('s). This will keep you from pinching your blade.
      separate your pieces and sand or plane the rough side.
      Most saws will do about a seven inch board. On wider pieces carefully split the center strip or cut it with a hand saw.

Count your fingers before and after! The process isn't difficult but your table saw is one of the best meat eaters in your shop.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD BUT IT IS HOW I DO IT
      BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
      May the wind at you back .....
      Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Welcome Bob. You didn't say how wide the board is that you want to rip? The table saw will work like Oily said, & another saw that you can use, is the band saw. I will say one thing about ripping any board,,, you need to be very careful, especially with the table saw. Hope you can get it ripped or settle for buying some ready made. Good Luck
        PERK

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The board is a piece of black walnut ive had laying around for a few years now. its about 3/4" thick and maybe 6-8" wide. Id have to re measure. My original intention was to use it for a stacked basket pattern I have. I may just keep to that plan and purchase some black walnut thin stock should I ever need it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobditts View Post
            Thanks for the tips. The board is a piece of black walnut ive had laying around for a few years now. its about 3/4" thick and maybe 6-8" wide. Id have to re measure. My original intention was to use it for a stacked basket pattern I have. I may just keep to that plan and purchase some black walnut thin stock should I ever need it.
            Your table saw will work good for that. Just cut back to 1/2" a pass
            May the wind at you back .....
            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Howdy and Welcome. I am Paul from south central Ohio. I have been hacking at things on the scroll saw for over 25 years. I still sometimes get discombobulated with things. Oh Well, it is definitely the way to make nice things, and it provides some of the best therapy ever. Welcome again.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X