Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing myself

Hello . . . My name is Stephanie and I just registered with this site. I just bought a scroll saw and am a complete beginner. Haven't even opened the box yet, just doing Internet research for beginners. Hope to start some simple projects soon.

Welcome A Board Stephanie...Number 5 alive!!!!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Stephanie, Welcome to the forum. The first step to getting started in scrolling is to open the box!. Take it out of the box and set it up. Put in a blade and get started! Then come back and ask questions. Pretty soon you will be posting pictures of your masterpiece!
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I hear you Dan! Slight problem right now due to water heater flood in my basement where I plan to work. Carpet being replaced today so should be able to re-organize and get to work scrolling by the weekend! Used to live in South Pasadena (LA area).

Comment

Welcome to a great forum Stephanie

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thank you Bob. I can't wait to get started. What do you recommend as a good first get to know your saw project? I was thinking maybe a simple jigsaw puzzle???

Comment

Steph,
              You may find a jigsaw puzzle more of a challenge than you expect. I'd suggest silhouette type work, or names, ornaments can be as intricate as you like. It is best to not over extend yourself at the beginning to avoid frustration and thus possibly turning yourself off to this craft/hobby.

I do remind folks who have tried it for a while it is after all 1 cut at a time. However there should be self imposed limits when first starting out.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Stephanie -- Welcome to the forum. This place really helped me get going, as I didn't hesitate to ask questions and solicit suggestions. I started out with some simple puzzles with 4-5 pieces for young kids. Just started cutting and the more you cut the easier it is. Go for most any project that interests you. You may make some 'designer firewood' along the way, but most of us do that even with some experience. Most of all, have fun!!
                Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Welcome aboard steph,
                  only one thing for it,get the saw out and go,
                  it may not be easy at the start,but learning is part of the fun,
                  and the only way too learn is too get down too it,
                  and if you need any help,just call out,here on the board,where there are lots of genius scrollers too advise you,
                  not doing much
                  and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Thank you to all who replied. This seems like a great group and I appreciate your welcomes! Stephanie

Comment

Welcome "a-board" Stephanie, get er out of the box woman.......she needs to purr.
                      Like others have said one scroll at a time, and before you know it you are a scroller.
                      Just in case you haven't gone to Steve Good's site, lots of patterns there...here's the link
                      Scrollsaw Workshop
                      Also lots of patterns right here in the vault, made by our members......link here.
                      Free Scroll Saw Pattern Vault - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board

Get some good dust protection, and have fun. We would love to see your project photos when you are ready to post some, if you choose.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

welcome aboard,
                        Tricia

Comment

Hello Stephanie, and welcome to the forum!
                          Online Scroll Saw Class - Incredibly Fun Adventures in Scroll Sawing #1: Introduction - Sign Up and Objective - by Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community
                          Here's a link for you from Sheila Landry's scroll saw class online, it's the link to the first lesson, all the others you'll find there. Hope this helps...
                          Frieke
                          www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Hi Stephanie, welcome to the family. You could not have joined a better group of family. We all had to start by opening the box so to speak. You may break a lot of blades to start off with until you get used to your saw and learn about tensioning the blade and how fast to feed the wood into the blade. It all takes practice and a bit of patients. But it is fun. Ask questions and don't be afraid to show your work. Keep a few of your first cuttings and compare them to what you cut in a couple of months. We are all happy to help if we can and willing to learn from you also. Have fun. Steve
                            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                            My Gallery
                            [email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                              Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by will8989
                              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                              Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                              Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                              Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                            Working...
                            X