Hello From California!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From California!

My name is Mark Abbett, and I live in Lemoore California. I am in the US Navy now for 16 years. I started scrolling off and on about 8 years ago. I am glad to find an active woodworking forum, so I might just be around quite a bit. Looking forward to asking some questions and maybe answer one or two. My hobbies are woodworking and computers mostly. Also I am a forum junkie!
    Mark Abbett
    DW788

Arrrr... a regular naval type boards us on International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Welcome, sir. There be no pirates here of course. We're naught but humble merchants who just happen to sail some of the fastest ships on the Spanish Main. An' those cannon are fer self defense only.

Quick, Mr Bo'sun, stow the sweeps.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Of course it's 3:30 am here, but I will see who I can amuse with that at work tonight!!
      Mark Abbett
      DW788

Comment

Welcome Aboard

From one old sea dog to another......Welcome aboard!!!! Rig fenders and come alongside. You'll find a great bunch of folks here. Hope to see you around a lot!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Hi Mark, welcome to the group. I don't know anything about boats/ships or how to talk like a pirate , but I wouild like to thank you for your service.

This is a great place with lots of knowledgable and friendly folks. You'll like it here.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Welcome aboard, matey.

If you haven't figured out by now, we're all pretty much nuts.

But, we're friendly nuts.
            Kelly
            "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Hi Mark,
              Welcome from another Californian. I live near the "town" of O'Neals. (Madera county)
              If you are looking for an active forum, you've found us!!
              We are a varied and rather friendly bunch ,
              and we are always glad to bring another member into the family.
              It would be nice to hear what sort of saw you have, and what kind of scrolling you're doing or plan to be doing. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
              Sandy

Comment

Welcome aboard Mark

Everyone here is great. I lived in Huron for a while. My husband and I managed an apartment complex there. I'm kind of getting home sick for California. But no matter where we're at we have our scrolling. Have funand I hope we hear alot about you and what you like to do with your scroll saw. Linda aka Stickers

Comment

Actually I am not a big fan of California to this point. I moved here in December of last year, after living in Florida for 15 years. I immediately went on Deployment for half a year, and have finally gotten my garage organized as a time share between a van and my tools. I actually had to put my tablesaw in storage because it was too big. I bought a little Delta tablesaw for $100 from Amazon. It cuts fine I guess.

I have the DeWalt 788. Have had it about 5 years I guess. I have met a few of you, though at the time I am sure it was more memorable to me than you. I met Rick at the first Tennessee Scroll Saw picnic that Dave and Rhonda put on. I have also talked to him in chats a few times. It is hard to keep with something when you are always going to sea.

I mainly do plaques now days. I like stuff to hang on the walls. Going to have to buy new walls soon if I don't stop though. I don't usually make things to sell, but I make things for myself (or whomever my wife tells me to). I just finished a horse plaque, matter of fact I need to get off the computer and put it in its frame before I go to work in half an hour. Next I am going to do the Dueling Dragons plaque.
                  Mark Abbett
                  DW788

Comment

Ahoy Matey,

Mark,

Welcome to our little corner of the net.

You will find a bunch of fun respectfull people here that enjoy life and scrolling (no pirate description, but whatever)

Enjoy your stay, you won't need to swab the deck.
                    The Rhum should be fine if you lock the tools 'afore hand: just ask "hook" o'er yonder.

Regards,
                    Marcel
                    http://marleb.com
                    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

[quote=CJoZ]Actually I am not a big fan of California to this point.

Mark,
                      We don't really have to like it - we just gotta "Grow where we're planted"
                      After all, it ain't where we are, it's who we are.
                      Where is originally "home" for you? (Matey)
                      Sandy

Comment

Originally I am from Indiana. Then Florida for 15 years. Not much else. I did find a nice hardwood place here in Fresno. I bought a few boards there the other day, a Mahogany and a walnut. Already finished one project with the Mahogany.
                        Mark Abbett
                        DW788

Comment

Been a long week of work, looking forward to getting back to the saw tomorrow. Got lots to do!!
                          Mark Abbett
                          DW788

Comment

Welcome to the Group
                            Charlie
                            "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                            Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by CJoZ
                              Originally I am from Indiana. Then Florida for 15 years. Not much else. I did find a nice hardwood place here in Fresno. I bought a few boards there the other day, a Mahogany and a walnut. Already finished one project with the Mahogany.

Hay CJoZ. I live in california. I am southern though. in the High desert. my folks are from terrie hot Indiana. sorry can't spell. so glad to see you here. California, is not so bad. there is lots of great places to see. we have the ocean. and deserts. and some of the greatist montiuns you would ever wont to see. Wellllllll the folks go pretty fast, and so does the cars. and attitueds. but then here we are. and I love wood work. and friends. glad you are here in this forume and in my state. Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X