1 year with magazine, brand new to scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year with magazine, brand new to scrolling

Hi everyone! My name is Mindy Kinsey, and I'm the (relatively) new Associate Managing Editor at Fox Chapel. I work with Shannon and Bob to keep the magazines running smoothly. I've been in magazine publishing for almost 20 years, spending most of that time working on special-interest publications. It might sound crazy, but you woodworkers have more in common with teddy bear collectors than you might think!

In addition to writing, I've been crafting and sewing my entire life. I have a fairly spiffy craft room at home and the beat-up hands of someone who lives a hands-on life. What's new, though, is the scroll saw. I borrowed one from the office last week, collected some scrap wood, and grabbed a copy of John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook. I figured that I've been writing about it for a year, so I should learn how to use it.

My plan was to work through the workbook, lesson by lesson--and that is still my plan. But I took home a handful of blanks with really basic puzzle patterns already attached (this is the kind of stuff that's just lying around our office). My son, who is 14 and has done some scrolling in school, just grabbed a piece of wood and starting cutting. I figured that if he could do it, I could do it. And I did--I cut out one three-piece puzzle dog. It only comes apart one way (tension issues, I think) but it looks like a dog. So, a good first try.

The one issue I had was not being able to see the line due to a build-up of sawdust. I ended up blowing on the wood as I was cutting, which felt awkward. When I asked Shannon and Bob about it later, they told me I need to attach the blower. Doh! I saw it in the picture but didn't know what it was. I'm going to go up to the storage room and find that, and see if having a blower makes it easier to see my lines.

I'll be checking in every now and then to report my progress on learning to scroll. If you have any tips or favorite beginner patterns, please let me know. You're also welcome to ask me anything about the magazines--I'm here to help.

Best,
    Mindy
    "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

I hope you did not have the blade up-side down?
    Go to my web site and click on Selecting a Blade and Q & A, this last one has a lot of information.
    FD Mike
    SD Mike

Comment

I wondered that, but it was just a little bit of sawdust on the top--most of it was underneath. I assume that when I run a finger down the blade, it should feel smooth going down and rough going up?
      "Take something you love, tell people about it, bring together people who share your love, and help make it better. Ultimately, you'll have more of whatever you love for yourself and for the world." - Julius Schwartz, DC Comics pioneer, 1915-2004

Comment

Welcome to this forum and good luck with your new job. It will be fun watching your progress with the scroll saw. Things we take for granted will be aha moments to you.
        DeWalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by Mindy View Post
          I cut out one three-piece puzzle dog. It only comes apart one way (tension issues, I think) but it looks like a dog. So, a good first try.
          Another possiblity is that your table might not be square. There are a few ways to do this.
          One, make a small cut into the wood, then turn the piece aroun to the back of the blade. If the piece goes into the cut easily, that's square. You'll be able to tell which way the table is off this way.
          Another way, (and I've always liked this one), is to use a credit card type, (I save my old AAA cards).
          Or you could do what I did and spend $12 on a nice small machinist's square...

Good luck...Hope to see some pictures of your stuff...
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Welcome to our online family....
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Welcome and good luck with the new job..

Comment

Welcome, Mindy. As a life-long craftsperson, I found that learning the scrollsaw was a great opportunity to use my knowledge from other crafts and apply it to wood. You'll probably find that too, as you gather up the skill and confidence to create your own designs. And most people who are familiar with the sewing machine quickly discover that the feeding and "finesse" are very similar.

In addition, you are sure to find that your hands-on knowledge of scrolling will make you a far more effective editor than you could be without really understanding the nature of the tool.

And, best of all, you'll find the forum a really friendly and helpful place. I've not only found friends here, but also a wealth of advice and feedback that has definitely strengthened my writing and projects.

Don't forget to post pictures of your projects, especially the early ones, so you have a record of your progress. You'll be amazed at how far you can come, in very little time.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome Mindy. It is nice to have you on our team. The magazine is doing a great job, information and patterns. It teaches techniques and shows how-to's. I know you will learn to scroll very quickly and will be very good. After all, I have heard for years how it is very close to sewing. I think you improve with experience and there is nothing like practise to speed up the improvement. Once again, welcome.

Comment

Welcome "a-board' Mindy, you'll do just fine with the scroll saw, ask your son to join too, we respect all ages here...... and we need to keep the hobby alive for more generations.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

welcome Mindy,
                      which saw did you take home ?
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome Mindy,
                        I have one question. You stated "I have a fairly spiffy craft room at home" What is Spiffy. J/K. My 15 year old daughter saw her first record album, 2 years ago and had no idea what it was. Welcome aboard.
                        Mark
                        Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I look forward to getting to know you and sharing projects with you. In the meantime, I'll check that the table is square, attach the blower, make sure the blade is right side up, and forge ahead with my lessons!

Best,
                          Mindy

Comment

Jim, thanks for the table squaring card trick. I'll try it.
                            Rolf, the saw is a Delta.
                            Mark, if I knew how to get photos back out of my iPod, I'd show you spiffy. But since I don't, you'll just have to believe that it's the best word to describe the organized, color-coordinated, spacious wonder of my craft room. Even if it makes me sound like Sandy from "Grease" when I say it. (My kid couldn't ID a record, either. The young whippersnappers!)

Mindy

Comment

Welcome Mindy. Sounds like you are enjoying your new hobby & job too. I'm sure you are doing fine with the saw. We all would have a problem with dust, if we didn't have the blower. So, just attach one & have fun. Good Luck
                              PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              Working...
                              X