Welcome Stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Stickers

Hi everyone- I have been scrolling for about 20 years and have loved it from the start. Each project I do is a part of me even if it's someone elses pattern or my own. I hope to be able to create full time someday. Maybe someone can tell me how to do that and still be able to eat and have a roof over my head. Thanks all.

Welcome Stickers

Hi Stickers,

Saw your post in another thread, and figured you deserved your own like everybody else

Welcome to our little corner of the net.
    Tell us a bit about yourself, what you like to scroll, and what saw you own.

regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

welcome stickers. I too have seen your post. AND I LIKE EM. you have alot to offer here. so stay around. I too would like to know alittle more about you. no matter, your here. your friend Evie

Comment

Stickers

Hi Marcel--- Well let me see. I have been scrolling for over 20 years. My favorite saw is the DeWalt 788. And I love making pictures out of wood. I have just moved to Kentucky after my husband passed away, to be with my daughter. I originally came from California (Berkeley). Now its time to start something new. I hope to someday do scrolling full time. I'm really glad that I found this sight. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by stickers
          Hi Marcel--- Well let me see. I have been scrolling for over 20 years. My favorite saw is the DeWalt 788. And I love making pictures out of wood. I have just moved to Kentucky after my husband passed away, to be with my daughter. I originally came from California (Berkeley). Now its time to start something new. I hope to someday do scrolling full time. I'm really glad that I found this sight. Thanks for the response.
          Hi Stickers. gosh, I am sorry to here of you hubby passing. I wish we could have met before you moved. for i live on the high deasert, of Calif. but i am still glad to meet you now. Im glad you found this sight too. for we are a wonderful family out side are familys. we joke around. sometimes cut alittle, and love alot. we take each other as is. we don't wont a refund. just wont to be here. we take each other just the way we are, and only ask for change , when it comes to scrolling. I for one , hope you will conseder me your new friend, and just join in when ever you feel the need. we not only wish to help with your scrolling , but in other woodworking . and well just family stuff. you say you have been scrolling for 20 years. wow. now can i pick your brain. i can see you have alot to offer us here. can we offer you are hand out as a friend. your new friend Evie

Comment

Thanks Evie--one can never have to many friendsl. And anything you want to know I'll give it my best effort. I don't always know what I'm doing but I do know that I love what I'm doing. I find peace in working with wood. My husband used to tell me he loved to watch me work with wood. Said I looked so at peace. And he was right. I have this dream of someday creating a picture out of wood that I saw in a painting. The painting was called a cammoflaged painting. Look at one way and you see just trees. Change your position and you see Indians on painted ponies going through the trees. I can see it in my mind but I haven't yet even attempted to try it. But I think it's time. Now all I have to do is get my saw and stuff together and get to steppen. I recently had someone tell me that it was time to be creative. Can't argue that. And with friends who understand the call of being creative I know that this is where I belong. Thank you so very much for being here. By the way I'm sorry I didn't meet you before I left California. But I know you now and that's awesome.

Comment

HI Stickers, here i set all tery eyed. and its not even Roberts falt this time. but you ;my new friend have brought something to mind (quot) My husband used to tell me he loved to watch me work with wood. Said I looked so at peace. And he was right. I have this dream of someday creating a picture out of wood that I saw in a painting. The painting was called a cammoflaged painting. Look at one way and you see just trees. Change your position and you see Indians on painted ponies going through the trees. I can see it in my mind but I haven't yet even attempted to try it. But I think it's time. Now all I have to do is get my saw and stuff together and get to steppen. I recently had someone tell me that it was time to be creative. Can't argue that. And with friends who understand the call of being creative I know that this is where I belong)

gosh girl. if it is in your mind. it has already been creatied. all you have to do is trace it on wood. what i do is just stare at it for a minut or two. then trace it. then cut it. its your dream, you can change it, no judgment, no redecule. just do it. no one hast to see but you. and hubby. and he's your alie. if we don't do what we came to do, it wont get done. does this make sence. I know when i leave,(i will ask myself) did i do what i came here to do. nothing is stoping you now. only you know how it should look. so shar it with us. we will love it no matter what. just for the record. i am adopting you as my little sister. go for it little sister. Im the one blessed. Evie

Comment

Welcome stickers. I love the idea of your picture
                I think you may be referring to one by Bev Doolittle
                In case people have not seen the pic before here is one of hers like that.

No worries finding the fox in this pic though

She is certainly a master of her media.
                I would love to see someone rise to the challenge of this project.
                I honestly think it could be done.

I look forward to seeing any work you do Stickers!

Carl, also a friend of Evie Actually we are all friends here.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Welcome, Stickers,
                  You'll find a lot of kindred spirits around here about every piece being a part of the sawyer, so you've come to the right place.
                  As far as creating full time - others will no doubt have much to tell you, but for now - don't quit your day job!! I guess most of us have had the wish, but few make the break.
                  Making it as a full time artist or artisan ain't all creating - the marketing is a biggie, and I think most of us don't even consider it's importance.
                  Maybe for now - you could learn to get by with less sleep, or eat at the saw, or...
                  Anyhow, welcome to the family - you might like to tell us more about yourself - like what sort of saw(s) you have, and the kind of projects you like to do.
                  Sandy

Comment

Stickers,
                    I welcomed you in another place, but I'll do it here, too (Marcel, can you move that one over here??)
                    I, too, am sorry for the loss of your hubby and the abrupt change in your life. And that we didn't meet while you were still in CA (I'm a tiny bit closer [geographically] to Berkeley than Evie). But I'm glad we're meeting now. I think it would be super if you did something like Bev Doolittle's work in scrolling. You'll have to actually do your own (pattern), though, if you want to sell it. I'm sure Bev's work is still copyrighted, and that is a big can of worms you don't want to get into!!
                    Just looking at those birches, - just makes me see scrolling. Yep, you're right - you just might have an idea that would let you scroll full time. Nice going!
                    Sandy
                    PS I adopt you too!!

Comment

Stickers, Sandy,

I moved the post from Smidgen's to here as requested by Sandy.

Regards,
                      Marcel
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks, Marcel.
                        We all benefit from your diligent patrolling of the posts, and your skill at making our boo-boos all right.
                        Sandy

Comment

Thanks everyone

Yep Carl that's the one. Thank you. I had thought about a 3 demensional intarsia or segmentation wood painting. I have several drawings of birch trees and a lot of drawings of horses and unicorns that I have done in pencil in my pattern box. So I should be able to come up with something interesting. You would think that I would have already done it. But procrastion is my middle name. However now the thought is there and I have already dug through my pattern box and knowing me I won't quit until I've got it down on paper. But I also need to mix the practical with my dreams. Job first. Apartment second. Saw third. Being a dreamer isn't always easy. All I really want to do is create. But I think my son-in-law would get a little bent if I just sat around all day drawing. You think? Anyway must get started I'm starting to have withdrawals without the smell and feel of sawdust around me.
                          Thank you Sandy and Evie for adopting me. Way cool. To answer your question Sandy, the saw I will be getting will be the DeWalt 788. I have owned two in the past and I'm really comfortable with the way it works and feels. Intarsia and segmentation is what I usually do. But I would like to some day make a fretwork clock. They really look interesting to do. So many projects, so little time. I have also done a little carving. But sharp objects aren't my friend. I made a baby harp seal and ended up bleeding all over it. It turned out good but I was a mess. So I think I'll stay with saws. Also Sandy I moved from Berkeley (husbands home town) But I came from Sacramento. That's where most of my work resides. I only have a few peices that I can show you and as soon as I can get my son-in-law to take pictures of them, I'll post them. He knows how to do all that stuff. Well got to go. Job hunting is a priority today. But thank you all for your encouraging words. They made this ladys day a lot brighter.
                          Stickers

Comment

Reviving an old thread with some new thoughts

One of those spring up in bed that's how it is done moments!... no wise *** comments please.

This project has been running through the back of my mind ever since stickers brought it forward.
                            I have been a Bev Doolittle fan for years and while I cannot afford to purchase a print I have several books.

The issue here is one that Bev had when she first did the project, Camouflaging as much as you can while still hinting at what is there.
                            The subtle use of colour and shadow are her tools to accomplish this but in scrolling a fretwork piece we really only have positive and negative space. I know we have types of wood and stains too but that would be extremely complicated and I think there is an easier way.

If we make this a layered piece we can have the trees cut out in a fretwork panel. The two warriors and their horses could be cut as a second fretwork layer and then a background layer could also be cut.

The three layers could be assembled that the piece would be very effective at camouflage.

Any comments?
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Carl, I sure do wish I knew about this site in 2006 anyway I'm here now and that's what counts, I think if you cut it as is it would look pretty good too.I hope you don't mind but this is what I came up with it looks like something JZ. would cut lol. I hope you like it.

Jerry
                              Attached Files
                              Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by dottyblues
                                Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                                I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                                In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                                I also added the...
                                Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Supermax
                                by will8989
                                Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Help help
                                by will8989
                                Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                                Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Pattern Vault
                                by KarlB
                                Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                                Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                              Working...
                              X