X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the basswood?

http://www.desertmooncreations.bravehost.com

Re: Where's the basswood?

Where are you located and how much do you need? I have 1/4' up to 16/4 finished and rough. If you only need enough for one project I will send you a piece no charge. You just pay shipping. 5/4 rough will clean up at 1'-1-1/8'. If you want a full 1-1/4' finished you will need to go 6/4.

Take Care
    Dale

Comment

I get my wood from Don Wedll, he has a small mill, has good wood and good prices! sometimes is a little slow getting stuff out, but always does..tell him dave referred you to him.(I don't get anything! just promised him I would try to help him get some business!) [email protected] he has a site too, but haven't found it yet! will post it when I do.

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Hi_Ho_Sliver - if you can find Don's site, I'd really like to check out what he's got (and sure, I'll give him your name). If you can't find it, I'll just send him an email. Thanks for your help! Good screen name, by the way

Dale - free wood? I'm not gonna pass up that offer. You're very kind, I'll send you a message with the specifics. Thanks.

Comment

OK found Don's site! http://members.tripod.com/~woodsource/index.html

Comment

test

Comment

Thanks for the link
              Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Again! Thanks for giving us a website we can go to. I appreciate the responce you gave.

Comment

If you continue having trouble, you can always glue-up several smaller pieces to make a thicker piece. I believe that is the way many of the Eurpoean carvers have done in the past. I have not used that for carving yet, but I know many people who have. Also, you can use mahogany or other materials if they are more readily available. Don't hesitate to let these guys help you....

Comment

I have done a couple of glue ups and they work fine...except...always an except! The grains in basswood are very subtle, at least to my eye, if you put two boards side by side and hold it up to light you can see the grains running one way on one board and the other on the other board. but as I said its very subtle...I have a hard time seeing it until I spray on a finish, then it stands out like a sore thumb? It catches the light one direction and makes it look darker...by the way, maybe someone on here knows a simple way to solve this problem?

Comment

I haven't tried this, but should work for seeing what finished basswood will look like .... give it a couple swipes with a damp sponge or some such, just to wet the surface. Just but the boards together like you were going to glue them up and then hit them with the water and the grain should pop right out (I hope).

P.S. For large pieces of basswood you might try
                      Itasca Wood Products
                      I needed a couple of 4X8's two feet long and geve them a call on the phone and they were very helpful. Suspect the 5/4 wouldn't be a problem for them.

Comment

I've used glue-ups of pine and white pine I picked up from friends in the construction business. They work fine. The sponge and water was a great idea. I just did that on a small characature for my final sanding before applying acrylic paint. What a difference, my first coat always raised the grain. I just learned that if you have a piece of hardwood, wrap it in foil and put in the freezer overnight. It raises the grain and makes for easier carving.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X