New member Robert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member Robert

Only been at this for a few months and while reading my new issue of SSWS last nite, saw a reference to this board. Awesome! What a wealth of information ! I finaly tore my blurry, bloodshot eyes away about 1:30 this morning & vowed to sign up first thing today. New at this message board thing so forgive my stumbles. I have a lot of pressure with my job but once that blade starts humming it all melts away and often my mate will have to remind me that the real world does indeed exist & things like eating & sleeping are a viable part of it. It is only her and I, a black lab ( Merlyn ) & a fiest ( Harley ) . We live out in the country and there are no clubs or any real resources out here. I am very excited to find this group and anxious for advice to hone my skills & techniques. Oh , and I can take the ribbing & teasing as well
    I started with a basic Dremel but found it limiting so I purchased a Dewalt 788 back in Feb. Man what a difference ! My biggest challenge now is sourcing decent wood that is affordable ....suggestions definately welcomed.
    Enough rambling , just wanted to introduce myself and beg your patience while I get used to this new-fangled communication
    ...~Robert~
    ...~Robert~
    DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Robert:

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your visits to this site.

Phil

Comment

Hi Robert
      Have a good time in here.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Welcome to the group

Charlie,
        Charlie
        "Everything Happens for a Reason"
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Robert,

I love the duck avatar

Welcome to the group and enjoy your stay.

Regards,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Robert, sounds like you'll fit right in.

I purchase alot of my wood thru Sloans, I've always recieved good quality and speedy service thru them, http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/hardwoods.htm There are other good suppliers out there I'm sure others will throw their two cents in also. click on the "other great sites" located on the left of the screen and it will show you other good supplier links.

Enjoy your stay!!
            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Welcome Robert. I live out in the boonies too. and this is as entertaining as i would ever need. you, your mate, and your Lab, are welcome here. and its good you take ribbing well , cous now you will get some. LOL. we love seeing pictures not only of your scroll work, but of your doggie too. I know what you meen about the blured eyes, from browsing to much in the forum. it is a wealth of knowledg. glad your here.

Evie

Comment

welcome aboard. You got a good saw, woods easy to come by! dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome, Robert!
                  Sounds like you fit right in to the group.
                  I like your bird dog avatar - maybe Charlie could cut one - he's the resident expert on all things "duck"
                  I also have trouble finding wood for cutting - what sorts of things do you want to cut? (So we know whether you want thick woood or thin wood or baltic birch plywood)
                  Sometimes I get a piece of old beat up furniture at a yard sale or the thrift store - and use the drawers for the wood. It is thin and smooth, but I usually don't know what it is. Often you can get something in bad shape for a dollar or 2. Even if it is coming apart, you're going to take it apart anyway.
                  I hope you keep coming back often, and letting us know what you're doing.
                  Sandy

Comment

Welcome Robert. Besides learning alot about this craft, this is also an entertaining group of people. Have you tried Ebay for wood? I get some of mine off there and haven't been disappointed yet. The only thing is the shipping so I try to get several auctions from one person and that way they combine the shipping so it isn't too much of a hit. Most times they will hold a shipment if you tell them you are bidding on another piece and want to combine shipping. There are two I really really like. One will cut the wood to the width and thickness you want, which is good for me for my christmas ornaments. If you would like their names, let me know and I will send them to you. I don't know if I can post them in here and I don't want to break any rules as I'm not really sure what the rules are on that! HAPPY SAWDUST MAKING! As for posting pictures, I keep trying but they don't want to post. I have only been able to get one posted. But I'll keep trying.

Betty
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanx

Thanx everyone, for the warm welcome I am truly humbled
                      ...~Robert~
                      ...~Robert~
                      DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Another place to find wood is at Garage sales and Junk houses, (cheap second hand stuff) and flea markets. Watch for bread boards, woodburnings, pictures glued to wood, etc. One mans junk is still junk, but you can make it a treasure.
                        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. I'm a new member myself.

Baltic Birch plywood is probably the most versatile material used for scrolling. It's available at several suppliers. Someone already mentioned Sloans. That is a good place to start.

Scavenging wood from dumpsters, can also yield some treasures. Pallets and shipping crates can provide some really interesting material, especially if they originate from Asia or South America.

In my opinion though, the more you get into this hobby you will find that the best option is to find a good, local hardwood dealer. Then you will want to consider making some significant capitol equipment purchases for tools such as a bandsaw and planer. These tools allow you to buy roughsawn lumber at very reasonable prices and dimension it to whatever size and thickness you want.

I do some other types of woodwork, so I was able to justify investing in these tools over the years. Admittedly, it can be a lot of money to shell out all at once. But it sure is nice having the freedom and flexibility they provide.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
                          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Hi robert, I thought i welcomed you but i dont see my post here. so welcome for sure. i love this forum and the folks in it. they are always helpfull and kind. I know I learn alot from them all.
                            Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X