Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hello, I'm new to scrolling, just received my Dremel 1800 Scrollstation this morning, it is sitting at home waiting for me. I've been reading this site for a while now, lots of useful information, but I'm sure I'll have some questions coming up shortly. I'll be sure to post photos of my work, just not sure when I'll get around to scrolling a duck.

My only previous woodworking is pen turning, so these two hobbies will be fighting for my time, after work and family that is. I also do hope one day to get into turning bowls and platters and the like.

Should probably mention that I like wolves, but can't find any beginner type patterns for free. Seen plenty of purchase patterns that I like, but I'll need to get some skills before investing in them.
    Cheers from Draken in Virginia, USA.
    Last edited by draken; 06-27-2006, 02:00 PM.

Welcome Aboard Draken! Congratulations on the new saw. Hope it brings years of enjoyment. There are many free pattern sites. Some have from beginner to advanced. One I like to frequent is http://groups.msn.com/absolutelyfree...rns/index.msnw
    They have a archive of stored patterns from many designers. Lots of great people, as on here! Enjoy the new hobby!

Tim
    "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Hi Draken,

Welcome to the group.

You will meet people here that share both your passions. The website Core-eagle has mentioned would be a great place for you to start looking for free patterns, as well as http://groups.msn.com/FreeScrollsawPatterns

You need to sign up with MSN My Groups once to access both of these groups, but they are well worth the little inconvenience. I'm pretty sure you will find wolves patterns for free in one or the other of the archives.

I hope to see some of your work soon, don't forget to get some good blades, they do make a big difference (Pégas, FD, Olson are some of the good brands) And there are some starter packs available at an affordable cost.

Join in the conversations, and don't forget that the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Welcome to the group, Drake,

This is the place to asked questions.

Mike M
        SD Mike

Comment

Draken,
          Welcome to the family. If you've been reading us for a while (I see you know about Charlie's ducks!!), you know we are a good place - for tips and help and encouragement, and just a little bit of teasing. I hope you find it a comfortable place to be.
          Sandy

Comment

A few dollars spent on a nice pattern with directions is worth it. Wolves are pretty plentiful patterns, you shouldnt have no trouble finding a bunch.
            And, with a name like yours, You probably better scroll out a drake to show us! Charlie would probably get jealous though! Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

howdy Draken, welcome

i also bounch back and forth between pen turning and scroll sawing
              havnt found a balance yet, as long as my medication is working guess ill do both.....

pete
              Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
              "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, and thanks for the pointers to the two MSN groups. Been having a lot of problems lately trying to access them and join. Keep getting server not available errors. But I'll keep trying! Looks like a problem with my browser (Firefox), reached the sites without problem using IE. I've applied for membership, waiting for the acceptance emails.

Did a small sample cut last night on the new saw to make sure everything is working. Right after that, I put the foot on, at least until I get used to using the saw, the wood kept jumping. I think I also went too fast, tried just a small circle, the top is wider than the bottom. Not sure what blade I used, one of the 12 that comes with the saw. It was a pretty large one, with pins. Now I just need to figure out where to put this sucker, it is a bit larger than I expected and I don't have room on my shop table for it. May end up buying the legs for it.

Cheers,
                Draken
                Last edited by draken; 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Hiya Draken,
                  If you shoot me a PM with your e-mail address I have a wolf pattern that you may like. Just a wee-bit intricate but not too bad. If you're a member of SAW (www.saw-online.com) it's available on their site as well as it's one I gave them for inclusion in Saw-Dust.
                  Welcome to the forum.

Kevin
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

welcome to the group Draken

Charlie,
                    Charlie
                    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Draken. I wont to welcome you too. You say you are useing a #12 blade , what thickness is your wood a #12 is a pretty big bladeif you don't hold your wood down it sure will jump around on you. can scare the whats its out of you. ask me how i know that. LOL. things will get easyer very fast. I found i had better luck if i started out with thiner wood, like 1/4 thick , and bb plywood or oak ply wood is fun to pracktiss on. and i use a #2 blade or a #3 skip tooth . like 24 or more teeth per inch. that goes alittle slower, and gives you some time to learn. there is lots to learn about the blade thing. your new friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X