Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About a 3 D scrollsaw project that I'm stuck on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About a 3 D scrollsaw project that I'm stuck on!

Cutting Sam Keener's ballerina and swan. Got so far as the foot of the ballerina and broke my blade. Luckily the blade pulled out ok. But now what?
    How can I get a blade back in such a tight little slice? I tried drilling an entry hole but my drill bit wasn't long enough and it didn't go all the way thru. AAAAArrrrrggggghhhhh! And if I can get the blade in, I'm a little confused about doing the second side. Tell me this: I don't understand when I finish the ballerina, pull out the blade, then I begin cutting again by entering from the left side again like I did on the first side? If I break a blade again, can I
    EVER cut an entry line into where I stopped? Tell me if I just have to cut both sides all the way thru without ever stopping? That's very hard to do.

Diane

Hi Diane,
    I do a lot of 3-D/compound cutting. I'm not familiar with the pattern your cutting, but when I break a blade, this is what I do. I gently work the blade out with a pair of pliers. Once I have the new blade secure, I slow the machine down quite slow and carefully work the blade through what I have already cut. The new blade should work its way through the kerf and when you hit the spot where your blade broke you can speed up the saw and continue your cut. To prevent breaking a blade you need to make sure the blade is tensioned as tight as it will go. And always run a new blade for a few seconds without cutting, shut the saw off, release the tension and reset your blade. This takes the spring out of the blade and helps you cut a bit straighter. It's also very important to use the right size blade for 3D cutting. I use a Polar # 5 blade.
    Hope this helps,
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

HI Diane my friend. Marsha gave some good advice. I did not know I needed this too. thanks for starting this thread. I am new at compound cutting, so I will learn here too. your friend Evie

Comment

I was under the impression that the cause for a broken blade was because the tension was too tight. Unless that just refers to band saws.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

most often, a broken blade on any tool is caused by excessive use or operator error. Typically, you will break more scrollsaw blades from lack of tension than from to much tension. I have yet to break a blade from to much tension on the scrollsaw, but I have overtightened my bandsaw a time or two and broke a blade. The only blade I have broken on my dewalts is a 2/0 spiral, I never broke a flat blade. Operator error was the cause. Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I agree with Dale,
            The only time I break a blade is when I push it past its useful life.
            Although I did break alot more blades with my Delta than with my Hawk.
            When I first started cutting ornaments (stack cut) with a 2/0 blade I broke 2 or 3 per ornament. I suspect that was caused by my inexperience.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by Jim Finn
              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
              Today, 04:48 PM
            • MidMich324
              Reply to Plastic puzzle
              by MidMich324
              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
              Today, 03:57 PM
            • RJweb
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by RJweb
              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
              Today, 03:42 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Farmers market "survey"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
              I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
              For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
              Today, 11:14 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Farmers market
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
              Today, 11:00 AM
            Working...
            X