Hi to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi to all

Just wanted to introduce myself, and to say that I'm very happy to have found this forum. I spent several hours last night reading and learning as part of my preparation for jumping into scrolling in the very near future.

My grandfather was a jigsaw puzzle cutter in Massachusetts in the 30s and 40s, and for many years I have considered doing it myself, for fun and (hopefully) profit. Recently, I joined my wife in working a couple of die-cut puzzles and I told her, "You've GOT to try my grandfather's puzzles!" Well, that did it. Hand-cut puzzles are so incredibly much more fun and aesthetically pleasing that there's no comparison. The only reason that I haven't ordered a saw yet is that I need to give full attention to my regular work for another week or so, and a new toy would be too much of a distraction. My attention level has been shot enough with all the research I've been doing the past couple of weeks.

I hope to emulate my grandfather's relatively unique cutting style, which should help to differentiate my products despite my not having a lot of scroll saw experience. His work has received a good amount of attention from collectors and historians, so I feel I have a good standard to aim for. I'll talk more about products and post pictures of his and my work when I feel I am ready to really "go public". The plan is to make a hundred or so puzzles for the dustbin, friends and family before I offer any for sale or display anything online.

Yes, I've seen Carter's work and he is a fine craftsman. I'll no doubt have lots of questions for him when I actually get started. I need to call Mike about blades, too.

For a saw, I'm leaning toward the Delta P-20 as it seems to have the best combination of features for me. This was a tough choice, especially flying in the face of the popularity of the Dewalt DW788. I'd REALLY like an Eclipse and have talked to the very amiable Ernie Mellon about them, but the budget won't stand one just yet.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with the crassness of my commercial aims in light of having nearly zero experience at scrolling. There's nothing so obnoxious as an upstart, but OTOH I can't think of anything I'd enjoy more than making fine jigsaw puzzles.

All the best,

Pete

I really don't think you will offend anyone with your post.
    If we cannot set goals for ourselves we certainly won't improve our own skills or scrolling as a whole.

I can see by the post you have spent countless hours scouring the site for informationa and have made some sound choices by reading.

I am sure you will have countless hours of pleasure with your new found hobby.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to seeing what you do.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Carl

You are very right about a lot of hours in self-study, which I always do before doing anything new. be it auto mechanics, home repairs, building a computer, or whatever. Scrolling is fascinating, really, with all the stuff you can make, and the variety of styles and techniques.

One reason I posted today was to pose a bit of a challenge to myself, in order to put a little pressure on. Thanks for your interest, and I hope to have something to show in a few weeks!

Comment

Hi Pete
        Welcome to this form. I too am new to this site and enjoy it alot. What I can see is the people in here will bend over backwards to help you with any questions or problems you might face. I know you will enjoy the world of scrolling as I have the past 12 years. Good luck

Comment

Hi,

Welcome to the group

Charlie,
          Charlie
          "Everything Happens for a Reason"
          Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Welcome Pete

Hi and welcome,

I hope your endeavor meets your expectations

Some people work better with a little pressure, others just freak out. To each his, or her, own style.

Don't throw out the first ones you make, keep them as memento of your beginnings, you'll really appreciate them to see how far you have come in a little while.

I, as well as the others, am curious to see pictures of your efforts; and they don't need to be masterpieces for you to post, as we like to share the trip with others on this journey of progress, not just the destination.

Regards,
            Marcel
            http://marleb.com
            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Nice to meet you Pete, once you get all your ducks in a row I look forward to seeing your puzzles, rather you make any money at it or not, have fun and let the sawdust fly.

Bill
              Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Wellcome pete. and good luck on your puzzles. your new friend Evie

Comment

I second what Bill stated.. Wether or not you make any money at it, have fun! Welcome to the forum,now go make some sawdust! dale
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I'm very glad to be here with all the talent and experience available, and look forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks for all your kind comments.

Good point on keeping early work, Marcel. It should be pretty comical, photocopies pasted on Home Depot plywood.

Comment

Welcome Pete. I'm new here too and have found everyone to be really helpful and fun. I would like to see some pictures of your Grandfathers puzzles. Do you have any.
                      MinotBob
                      Makita MSJ-401
                      Universal Tools:
                      Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Welcome, Pete.
                        Actually, photocopies on HD ply may look pretty good - you'd be surprised. I like making puzzles, too, but I make the clunkier thick ones - which can also be displayed standing up as though they were sculpture (which, in a way, I guess they are).
                        I'm sure you have grabbed all of our curiosity as to the uniqueness of your grandfather's style of puzzle - good luck on going commercial with them, and please share what you feel you can - we're all interested.
                        Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by sheltiecarver
                          I'm sure you have grabbed all of our curiosity as to the uniqueness of your grandfather's style of puzzle - good luck on going commercial with them, and please share what you feel you can - we're all interested.
                          I have four of his puzzles and need to ransack my folks' house for some more. They need a cleaning and, sadly, two of them have a piece missing, and there are some broken tabs, etc. The style is similar to Carter's, with lots of color line cutting and freeform pieces. Also, he was heavily into deceptions such as hidden borders and corners, not to mention FAKE borders and corners. He did a lot of amusing things that would make you chuckle as you went along; I remember an English hunting scene that had about twice as many fake horse legs as real ones, for example.

I'd like to see if I can learn to cut in a similar way before I post pics, but I promise to put some up in a few weeks or so.

There was a program on PBS a few years ago that made a big impression on me, about an art school in NY that trained painters in the style of the Old Masters. Their first week, the students would live in a studio, drawing practically around the clock, 16-18 hours per day. So that's what I want to do: live with the saw, go total immersion into cutting, and try different woods, blades, and finishes.

Can't wait to start! Have to clear up some pesky business first, unfortunately. And tomorrow, two clogged toilets.

Pete

Comment

Pete, good luck with your new hobby. Should we tell him how addictive it is? Happy cutting. Toby

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X