Hello from Doug Woodward at Diamond Fretsaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Doug Woodward at Diamond Fretsaws

Hi, I have just received invite from Bob Duncan to pop in and say hello from myself and Diamond Fretsaws in the UK, Paul, Bob and my son Paul tell me this is an interesting place to visit and I should say hello and if I can answer any questions for you all or advice on Fretsaws in general I am glad to help where I can.
    I am enjoying the reading so far but i am an engineer rather than a woodworker i enjoy building high quality saws and designing new features some of which will fit other machines for wood or metal work i think fretsaw/ scrollsaws can be improved further and as a designer i would like to hear other peoples opinions on any items of interest .

Welcome Doug, nice to have you here. Your reputation precedes you
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

It's great to see you over here, Doug .

Come on guys - tell Doug what your dream features in a scrollsaw might be. For me, it would be a method of clamping a blade in position whilst simultaneously tensioning it.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Dream saw?

Before too many comment on my post I am just pointing out what I would like on a machine. I know many machines have some of these features.

Speed of blade changes plagues us all. I know he has self centering blade chucks that speed the process up.

I like the design of the Diamond with the metal table sitting behind the blade. The ancillary table could be made out of Lexan to allow you to see the blade change underneath.
        I think options like drip systems to cool diamond blades would be a benefit to metal and glass cutters.

Flex shafts are a benefit for buffing and drilling, but it is impossible to get a true vertical hole when drilling by hand, maybe a drilling arm similar to those from the turn of the century.

A speed indicator, strokes per minute, would be beneficial.
        A bias compensator to allow you to cut a true line with a scroll saw blade. I know Diamond saws allow you to turn the blade clamps. It is a great feature more saws should have.

An hour meter on a saw would be beneficial for maintenance, indicating the correct time to lubricate and adjust.

The saw should be made of off the shelf parts so you can repair the saw should something wear out. Too often parts are specialty and cannot be replaced.

The length of the saw arm should be user selectable. There is no reason why I could not but longer arms for a saw should I need too.

Well there is a start I am sure others will think of more features.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

It would be really great if some sort of dust collection system could be incorporated. I often wondered if several hundred small chamfered holes could be drilled into the table top with the bottom of the table sealed off and a suction port for a Shop Vac coming out the back of the table. It would take some engineering, but then that's what you do... <GRIN>. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing you around frequently!!
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Neat idea Neal. I am thinking though that having a vacuum table would make it really hard to move the wood around freely though, but, like you said, Im no engineer either, thats their job!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome Doug and Boy this is cool- I can actually Beg someone to make a clamp for people with limited strenth that will hold a blade... like a lever that we can just flip up and down..HINT HINT--- and the tension should be up front where those of us with limited reach can tighten the tension more comfortably ---being able to see the lower clamp would be nice too,, like a see through table..
              Okay I agree with everyone on needing a good clamping system but has anyone ever considered making a saw for those of us with limited strength and access the saw to fit our needs also -- not a handicap saw ( put that H word in and prices tripple) but just a good saw that is friendly to all.. Heck I'd love to just be able to find a clamp to fit my saw and I'd buy it..Like the lever for the top and bottom of a 16 inch Craftsman
              Sharon

Comment

Ohh Doug
                Can you please send us a link to your saws I'd like to see one.with prices

Comment

Hi Sharon, you may try this site http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/page0006.htm
                  for a lever clamp for your saw. I don't remember what type of saw you have but the motto on the site is "Removing Obstacles to Success".

Couldn't get a better mission than that.

They have several retrofit items to ease blade changes.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Cool thanks Carl-- I'll check them out
                    Sharon

Comment

Doug is aware

Crikey you all have a lot of ideas, very interesting. the see through table has been thought about by Diamond, I know, the problem has allways been finding a durable economical material that will not scratch up after 2 hours of work and therefore be less than useless. If it cant be guaranteed for 5 years, I know Doug will not condone it. I understand Doug is reading these forums at present, but has recently had a small computer malfunction, I have spoken to him and he is keen to respond where he can.
                      Vaccuum, difficult and expensive, the electric blower on the Diamond is adjustable in position and strength, and also dust trays are available.
                      http://www.diamondfretsaws.pwp.bluey....uk/index.html

I will leave Doug to respond, hopefully soon.
                      LOL.

Paul

Comment

OK you can all scream and hollar at me for this suggestion.

Safety glass table for scrolling with a hole for a small insert.

I will now go sit down in the corner while putting on my hair shirt.
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

By George ole buddy-- I think you've got it !!!!!!!!
                          Carl that does make wonderful sense .. arent our windshield made out of saftey glass ?? and look at the torture we put them through.. Don't sit in the corner Carl and you can leave your shirt off too-- oooo la la -- I'll even give you a ice cream cone little boy...
                          Sharon.

Comment

Answers and more questions

Hi everyone computer sorted until next time...!
                            Can I first ask what is the benefit of a see through table?
                            Anything with an insert tends to be unreliable..they heep poping out!
                            Sharon we do offer conversion, levers for the whole Diamond range as we supply them to schools also, please call the office for a quote (not expensive approx £10.00) and let me know what you need, we are allways willing to customise any of our range to suit individual requirements.
                            All our optional dust trays can already be fitted with vaccum extraction connection, please let us know the hose diameter required.
                            I have thought already about the flexible shaft pillar drill. I believe we can adapt it to fit our toolbridge, which would also allow you to Router at the same time!) A flexible shaft is already available on all but the 16inch saw..
                            The toolbridge will fit all models

Keep up the good work...Doug (Diamond Fretsaws)

Comment

Doug-
                              The purpose for a see through table is cause my X-ray vision is broken and it is hard for me to see threw cast iron when the blade needs changing--I have to "feel my way" under the table to insert a blade and I just thought if I could just see what I was doing it would be so much easier.
                              And I will check out your site and see if you have what I need for a lever.. It would be the cost of a new saw for me to call though --since I am in Texas..But I will give a look see
                              Sharon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Chuck Hans
                                Congrats on all accounts,
                                I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                                Yesterday, 08:51 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                                Yesterday, 03:36 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                                Yesterday, 02:56 PM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by NC Scroller
                                I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                                Yesterday, 11:24 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by NC Scroller
                                Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                                Yesterday, 11:18 AM
                              Working...
                              X