Finally "joined up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally "joined up"

Hello everyone, I have been reading the forum for a little over a year now and have enjoyed all the great advice that all everyone has for each other.

My handle is big foot b/c that's my nick name at work. Probably has to do with my size 13's. LOL

I am NOT skilled at this whole typing / computer thing so it will take me awhile to ask or answer anyone with my 2 finger skills.

I discovered scrollsawing by accident a year ago when I saw the Scroll Saw Workshop magazine at the book store & picked it up to have a look.

I have worked with & enjoyed working with wood for quite a few years now but wanted to start doing smaller projects due to lack of space.
    I started on a Sears 16 inch saw - which I had to convert to pinless - & once I realized how much I enjoyed it, bought a 20 inch Dewalt DW788. Unfortunately, it's in the repair shop b/c I have had some trouble with it.
    I think it might be the tension b/c the blade looses tension when I am sawing.
    Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions?

I am still a novice but have been pleased with most of the work I've done so far. I get my blades from Mikes Workshop and that is again thanks to the great advice on this forum.

I am looking forward to chating with & learning from you all.

Big Foot

Welcome Bigfoot!
    Scrolling is an awesome hobby.

There are many users of Dewalt here. I am sure you will get the advice you need.

It is always great to see fellow Canadians join the site. Its a small world after all.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Are you sure your blade wasnt just sliding out of the holder. It dont take much to become loose. Perhaps just an emery board dragged across the blade holders would have cured it.
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome

Big foot-

Welcome to the forum. I just sent my DeWalt 788 to the shop for the same reason. You can go to the 'General Scroll Saw' section of this forum and see '788 has lose tension' thread.

You will get the best advice on this forum that for sure. I started about the same way. Now I really love scrolling.

-Bill
        -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

HI Big foot. and Welcome . you will meet many friends here. with some great advice. I only had the blade slipping proleam 1 time. thought it was my quick clamp. so bought a new one. but found it was only some oil on my blades . I was cutting 1" oak at the time. and cranked it down. kept slipping out. but now i know the reason for me. wipping the tips of my blades with alcohole, before putting them in, done the trick. you may have a differant probleam . changing from pin blades to straight end blades was a new lesson for me. but would'nt change back now. thats what happend to me. your new friend , in calif. Evie

Comment

thanks...

Thanks for the welcome.
            I sanded the clamps and the ends of the blades, which I learned from this forum. It doesn't appear that the blades are slipping out of the clamps so.. b/c my saw is still covered by it's 1 year warranty, I took it to the repair shop to see if they could help.
            I am waiting to see what they say.
            minowevie, I will certainly try your suggestions as well once I get the saw back-thanks

big foot

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Rolf
              Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
              That is...
              Today, 08:15 AM
            • Jimern
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by Jimern
              The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
              Today, 06:29 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by will8989
              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
              Yesterday, 11:10 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
              Yesterday, 10:31 PM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
            Working...
            X