Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi all you experts out there. my name is john , I live in warren oh. i have been enjoying all your comments and advice for a while. dont think i can compete with you guys. ive been playing with wood for the past 50 years. lately its been getting harder to do the things that used to be fun. maybe its my age. anyway keep up the good work and thank you all.john

Welcome to the forum, John .

'Sfunny - I've been told that as men get older, the things that used to give them fun don't get harder... and that's the problem!

I know, I know... go and stand in the corner, Gill.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill you naughty girl, go straight to my room!
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

getting old

Originally posted by Gill
        Welcome to the forum, John .

'Sfunny - I've been told that as men get older, the things that used to give them fun don't get harder... and that's the problem!

I know, I know... go and stand in the corner, Gill.

thanks gill depends on how you look at it.. john

Comment

gettingold

thanks gill , it all depends on how you look at it. john

Comment

John....You mentioned in your post that you didn't feel you could compete with the scrollers here. Probably one of the best aspects of the forum is that there is really no competetion. Folks here just really love scrolling and, as you've probably discovered, like to help other scrollers. A lot of us have also left our youth back there somewhere in the past (I don't remember where I left it). Especially Old Mooner....he's getting so old he's afraid to buy a green banana!!! Anyway, welcome aboard!!! Fire up the saw and make some sawdust with us!!!
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I agree with Neal.

The only person you should be competing with is yourself, and I'm no longer sure that's a good idea. Scrolling should give pleasure to yourself and, hopefully, those around you, if only to get you out of the way!

Dan

Comment

challenge

thanks neal and dan.i needed that encouragement. presently i,m trying to cut out the eagle pattern in creative woodworks magazine. got it cut out and stained, but got the idea if i can get the pattern reversed and put the two cutouts together ?think that will work? need some input. john

Comment

Eagle Pattern

John...I don't think I've seen the pattern you're referring to but if you mean you want to reverse it like a mirror image to greate a "pair" of eagles it should work just fine.

Comment

Hey, what's with this "especially Old Mooner" and "green banana" stuff swabbie. All the ships you served on are in the Smithsonian "Mr." Moore. Pay no attention to this degenerate John. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find a lot of good discussion and frienship herein.
                    Shame on you Gill. I hear what you say may be true for some, but leave us not be too prone to generalizations. And, Gill, what's with this "rain, rain" stuff. The area where I live is so dry that we have been battling (sp?) grass and field fires for months. Some small towns have actually been totally burned up. Please send some of the rain this-a-way mate, love, bird, sheila, whatever.
                    Moon
                    Old Mooner

Comment

Hi John

I can't see much point in cutting out a second eagle if you're going to use it as a glorified backing board. For one thing, it wouldn't be strong enough; for another it would be a shame to have so much of your work hidden from view.

Moon - if my memory of those Audie Murphy movies serves me right, don't you have the skills to induce rain over on your side of the pond without needing to import some from us? Surely John Wayne hasn't finished off all the medicine men capable of doing a rain dance .

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

eagle

Originally posted by Neal Moore
                        John...I don't think I've seen the pattern you're referring to but if you mean you want to reverse it like a mirror image to greate a "pair" of eagles it should work just fine.
                        i,m not really thinking a pair of eagles, i,m thinking putting the two pieces together to make one eagle. maybe mountng on a dowel to revolve. maybe a foolsh noton. john

Comment

John,
                          So you're thinking of sort of a 3-D intarsia project - is that right?
                          If you have a good way to display it, and if it looks good enough for you -- why not?
                          Just a thought though -- maybe you would like to try out your concept on something smaller and less complex- just in case you are not at all pleased with your outcome, or you see some areas that would need changing to make it pleasing.
                          In carving (yes - I know this isn't) a relief only really looks good from full front or slightly to either side, so I think you would want to play around with your idea a bit to get it just right, before committing all that work again.
                          Of course, that's only my opinion, and you probably have a good idea of what you want it to look like already in your head - if that's the case, go for it, and be sure to let us know how it comes out.
                          By the way, Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will fit right in.
                          Sandy

Comment

John....if you mean putting them back to back, so the piece can be viewed from both sides, I think it's a great idea and should work just fine.

Comment

Hi John, indeed , WELCOME> Im alittle slow getting to my PC lately, GILL hahah your so funny and bad girl. BUT hahah. I think Carl is much badder. hahah personaly I think any idia is a great one. I love dimention. I don't think learning from any idia, is a bad idia. HUH. well its ok I don't understand me eather. its and old thing. your are in the right place. folks here are very kind, most the time. we do get some in here sometimes ,(YOUNG ONES) that think they know it all. LIKE ME..haha just kidding. but most of us, just like to have fun with are wood work. and shar idias. and teckneaks. sure i spelled that rough. hope you do what you wont to do with your eagle. and I would love to see it when your done. hope to become friends. your new friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X