X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Hello!
    Chris here,
    I'm new to the boards, although Ive been scrolling for about 2 years,off and on.
    I've been a carpenter, remodeling and building houses, since I'm 17. So I always have had a knack for woodworking. Years ago when I first began to scroll for a time of about 2 years, I had to put down the craft and pack up shop for several personal reasons. One was a job that took me up and down the eastcoast setting modular homes. I was a foreman crane rigger/multi service tech. We did it all, from setting the homes brought on trailers to assembling the roof systems and shingling to the ridge caps. The job was demanding and being away from home got old after a while. After I left that position, I happily returned home to persue my small carpentry/handyman business, that I still run today.

We've just recently finished renovating our entire house after many years of living in it half remodeled. My hobbies for the past year have been; electrical,plumbing, drywall, spackling,sanding, painting,tile work, carpeting and trim. Despite the desperate pleas with my wife ,stating; "these are not hobbies" ..but she didn't want to listen....

Well things have simmered down to a comfortable crawl and I have had the time to set up shop again. So I can get back into "my other intrests". One of which is scrolling.
    I've been lurking around here for a week or so and I must admit Ive learned a few things about the craft. When I began to scroll, there were no scrolling forums,just a few sites spurraticly across the net. So i was very impressed to find such and active forum with a wealth of information.
    I usually keep my major tool purchaces to those that will benifit my livelyhood.
    So when I began the craft, I couldnt justify spending alot of money on just a hobbie. So I bought a small Craftsman 16"/vs scroll saw that i still peck away with, even though it's almost shot...

Scrolling on this saw was difficult and remains difficult, but i quickly became more and more confident and was soon cutting dozens of peices. I eventually went on to employ techniques such as stack cutting and using spiral blades to speed up production. I looked but couldn't find a good local source for quartersawn lumber at the time. So, I used 1/4" oak veneer(plywood) which actually was more in my budget and grasp. There is not a family member or close freinds that dosen't have one or a few finished pieces. I had so many pieces cut, We looked into a table at a local craft fair.
    (I say we becase, my wife would sand and finish the pieces while I would lay out and cut) Unfortunately, that winter we had a warm spell and 3 feet of snow melted in 2 days, flooding my cellar workshop. Most of my stock was destroyed or warped, but i managed to save a bunch of the partially finished pieces that I still have today. I pulled them out and began to finish what began so long ago...
    I'm currently looking into a higher end saw, but before I buy it, I have to sell it....to my wife

I consider myself a student here and look forward to learning and discussing.
    Last edited by Christopher; 12-03-2005, 12:07 AM.

Welcome Christopher

Welcome aboard Christopher!! I believe you'll enjoy the forum and the folks who participate. We are a diverse bunch of scrollers representing everything from simple fretwork to ornate works of art. Lots of experience here and each is willing to help everyone else. If you have questions about any facet of scrolling you'll find good answers here. Hope to see you around often!! I lived in Philly for a year and did a little pheasant and deer hunting up in Bucks county back in 1980. Quite a city!!
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Thanks Neal!
      Yes theres alot of great hunting up here in the sticks, although I haven't gone in years.
      Bucks county is a little more south of me. But, I've been to Philly plenty of times.
      I'm in Lackawanna county. The river which runs through our boroughs is the Lackawanna river. It's been recently cleaned and dredged to a "trophy trout stream" condition. Spinners only, get caught using live bait and your looking at a stiff fine.
      Ive seen some wicked 24" rainbows pulled from that coal mine run off,one time mud hole! Not that I have caught any that large...

I've noticed the skill range of scrollers here, Im just a novice, but hope to hone my skills.
      If I could cut like I draw, I'd have it licked! But I certainly hope to gain a few new tricks here.

Comment

I would like to add my welcome as well. Being in construction myself I can relate to some of the things you were talking about. Hope things stay settled for you so you can enjoy this relaxing hobby because it does become addictive. Anything comes up you would like to discuss feel free. Good luck and enjoy.
        John T.

Comment

Yes welcome from one newbie to another...
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Our family gets bigger and bigger. Welcome aboard.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Welcome Chris!
              About your saw - don't despair -- you can do some terrific things on any scroll saw, and the skills you develop will carry over to almost any saw if or when you move up. (well, maybe not the skill of catching the Dremel saw before it walks off the bench, but almost all the others!)
              To prove a point (that it is primarily the operator skill, and not the saw) I just cut a dragon puzzle in 3/4 poplar with a Harbor Freight saw that cost $20 on sale. The fit of the pieces is a bit sloppy, and I had to sand like crazy, but it is recognizable, and the pieces fit together. The heckle had been "Well, if I had a fancy saw like yours, I could do all that stuff too!" Not so.
              With the skills you already have, you'll be scrolling anything you like soon. Then getting a "better" saw will only make it faster, easier, more comfortable, and even more accurate. These points are free for you to use on yer spouse - if it will help.
              Again, Welcome!
              Sandy

Comment

Hey thanks for the warm welcome all!!

sheltiecarver, thanks for the kind words of encouragement!
                Im not too worried. Ive gotten by with my saw and have had great results, so far. I have plans to take my scrolling to the next level so to speak. I have enjoyed it tremendously, because for me, it is a balanced combination of drawing and woodworking, two of my many passions.

I dont have a web site yet, but I dont mind sharing a few photos when I can.
                Two summers ago I did some volunteer work at the center where my wife works. She begged me for weeks to come up on a weekend and do some scrolling with her students. Nothing fancy, just give the kids some hands on experience with something they have never done. Family day was the next weekend and my wife wanted to have the kids make something for their familys. Reluctant at first, I agreed.
                I first thought they would never be intrested in such a thing, considering their social background. Boy was I mistaken.
                The kids took to it like bees to pollen and after a few simple instructions and some guidance they all decided to make picture frames.
                I provided 5" x 7" blanks and a few letter stencils and they designed and cut all their own frames.
                Despite the crash course and the crude workshop conditions the kids all did a great job !

Administration was so impressed, they offered me a part time job to create a small workshop and do crafts with the kids a few nights a week. I really related with some of the kids who showed intrest, So I agreed again.
                For 4 months, I went up 3 nights a week and made all kinds of simple things right through the holidays.

Comment

Chris

Good for you. I know you are not looking for that pat on the back but you got it. I bet it makes you feel good. You may have a knack for teaching and that maybe in the future. Anyway it is always good to hear stories such as yours and wish more people would share. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the scrolling I am sure you will do fine.
                  John T.

Comment

Unfinished pieces

Well I thought about it, and decided it wouldnt be such a bad thing to post some of my unfinished works.
                    Please keep in mind that these were boxed away for a few years and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on some of them.

Last edited by Christopher; 12-05-2005, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Lot of nice scroll work there. That is a pretty old Craftsman saw. Still running good??
                      John T.

Comment

Thank you!
                        The saw is on it's last leg, it is almost like cutting with a chain saw (actually I have a chain saw that vibrates less). Ive replaced a number of parts to keep it going. In it's next life it's going to be a boat anchor.
                        I have more finished pieces, but going to refrain from posting anything more or entering any contests until the time when I get some affirmative answers.
                        I wish to avoid contoversey.However, I still wish to share my patterns with all who are intrested. I know the work involved and Im looking into solutions.
                        Last edited by Christopher; 12-05-2005, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Christopher....hop over to the scroller galleries and start an album for yourself. Don't wait for someone to validate your skill as a scroller. From what I've seen in your attachments you're well on your way!!! We would all enjoy seeing your work and one of the really great aspects of this site is that folks are more appreciative of each others work than they are critical of it.
                          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Thanks Neal!
                            I do plan on creating an album,it's thrilling to be able to show my work,but I need to iron out a few kinks first.
                            Hopefully, I'll get situated before or right after the holidays.

Comment

I just think that is so great . thanks for teaching are kids. the good stuff. your new friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X