It's Arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Arrived!

The latest edition (#19) of Scroll Saw Workshop has just arrived . It's the first time I've seen this magazine and I've only scanned through it briefly. Nevertheless, that's sufficient time for me to be very impressed. It's a breath of fresh air for scrollers on this side of the pond whose reading material is limited to magazines that focus mostly on joinery.

In case there are any other Brits out there who'd like a copy, the magazine is available from GMC Publications, although it isn't actually listed on the website. If you telephone or email GMC, appropriate arrangements will be made.

Today, I'm a happy bunny .

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

OT: Wood supplier UK

Gill
    (and other UK scrollers):

On another forum (newsgroup), I found this recommendation for a supplier of oak and cherry in the UK:
    ambrose mcgrath 0151 298 9898.

The poster who gave that suppler's name suggested also:
    uk workshop forum for a lot of info on suppliers, and general woodworking in UK.
    http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

I hope this helps to make your day even better.

Phil

Comment

Thanks for that, Phil. Actually, I've been a member of UKWorkshop for quite a while and it's usually the first forum I check when I log onto the internet. It's a very friendly place and North Americans are more than welcome to join in - indeed, many do. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only scroller on the forum so I'd welcome a bit of international support . Perhaps we'll convert the ungodly to our righteous (scrolling) ways .

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill,

Now that you've had some time to check it out...what do you think?

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
          Now that you've had some time to check it out...what do you think?
          For me, it's an oasis in a desert of joinery. I like the magazine enormously, especially the plans which I can make use of. I found the article on dovetailing rather disappointing because it amounted to little more than decorating a mitre joint. In fact, If I'd been enticed into buying the magazine on the strength of the front cover, I'd be feeling somewhat duped.

The intarsia door is fabulous and is an example of how the magazine doesn't just print patterns - it shows how to incorporate scrollwork into our daily lives. It's the practicality of the magazine and the adaptability of its articles that I find so appealing. Reading it, I often caught myself thinking, 'That's a good idea - I could apply that to a project I've been thinking about', and 'I wouldn't have thought of doing that'.

The magazine certainly crossed the pond well. I noticed there were some Brit contributions, including a reference to a certain Vasilissa and the White Horseman published in an earlier issue. This pattern was published in the UK in the short-lived Scroll Saw Magazine issues 7, 8 & 9 back in 1999/2000 and it formed part of a triumvirate - as well as the white horseman, there were also the black horseman and the red horseman. Indeed, the portrait of Sarah Bernhardt also appeared in Scroll Saw Magazine issue 8 alongside a matching portrait of La Demoiselle de la Plume.

I've taken out a subscription to Scroll Saw Workshop through its British distributors, GMC. I think it'll be money well spent.

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Big week here
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Happy news on the negative covid test, the family get together, the happy proposal, and retirement too!! Congrats. I hope you find a wonderful replacement full of potential to carry on your good work quickly so that you can train the heck out of that person.
            Today, 01:40 AM
          • Chuck Hans
            Reply to Big week here
            by Chuck Hans
            Congrats on all accounts,
            I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
            Yesterday, 08:51 PM
          • cwmagee
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by cwmagee
            Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
            Yesterday, 03:36 PM
          • Sandy Oaks
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by Sandy Oaks
            So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
            Yesterday, 02:56 PM
          • NC Scroller
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by NC Scroller
            I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
            Yesterday, 11:24 AM
          Working...
          X