I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here

I bought a scroll saw about three years ago to do some inlays for jewelry boxes. The scrolling ended after a few months, but I'm using the saw once again. I thought I might pick up some pointers from a group dedicated to the scroll saw. I have a little shop out back where I make little do-dads. At the moment I'm making some piggy banks.

Welcome Pa-Paw.

Phil

Comment

Hi Pa-Paw .

I'm interested in your piggy banks and I'd love to see a photograph of one. I've often thought about making some, but I've never been able to work out a satisfactory way to get the money out of the bank. How have you solved this problem?

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Pa-Paw....Welcome to the finest support group on the web for the scrolling addict!!!! If you have questions you will find the answers here....along with some heated but friendly debates!!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
          Hi Pa-Paw .

I'm interested in your piggy banks and I'd love to see a photograph of one. I've often thought about making some, but I've never been able to work out a satisfactory way to get the money out of the bank. How have you solved this problem?

Gill
          Not a problem, Gill. You can click on to the link, and then go to the "Little Piggy Banks" album.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pa-paw

Comment

Hi Pa-Paw

Thanks for the link. Your piggy banks are very impressive and I'm certainly going to have a bash at those. Don't be surprised if I come back and ask you to help me out of the inevitable fixes I'm bound to get myself into !

So you turned the stoppers on the lathe... I don't have one of those but I do have a router, a circle cutting jig and a dovetail bit. I might be able to come up with an adaptation.

If it works, I'll post some piccies.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
              Hi Pa-Paw

Thanks for the link. Your piggy banks are very impressive and I'm certainly going to have a bash at those. Don't be surprised if I come back and ask you to help me out of the inevitable fixes I'm bound to get myself into !

So you turned the stoppers on the lathe... I don't have one of those but I do have a router, a circle cutting jig and a dovetail bit. I might be able to come up with an adaptation.

If it works, I'll post some piccies.

Gill
              Gill, you might also consider using cork as stoppers. I've never tried it, but mixing sawdust, shavings, and epoxy in a small mold might work, as well. Good luck...John

Comment

Gill

They have rubber stoppers that are designed for banks and things. You can get them at your local craft store or on line at www.meiselwoodhobby.com
                John T.

Comment

Hi John

Believe it or not, you can't get stoppers in craft stores on this side of the pond . I've said before that we're poorly supplied - that's an example of how bad it is! To be honest, I've started thinking it might be an idea to open a UK retail outlet for scroll saw sundries such as stoppers, decent blades, 1.5mm (1/16") plywood, hinges, magazines etc.

Thanks for the Meisel link; I've requested a catalogue from them just to see what I'm missing out on. If the shipping costs aren't too dear, I'll order some stoppers.

Gill

Comment

Just a thought.

Funny how thoughts pop in your head. Sometimes I am glad my skull is so thick they dont slip out the other side.
                    I had to plug a round hole in my front door when I replaced the door lock and handle. I used my scrollsaw and tilted the table to cut on a bevel. I cut a block of oak around 4 or 5 degrees. I put it in the door 3 years ago with no glue. It hasnt had a problem. You could cut your own plugs. You may even be able to get some hard rubber to cut.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                      I like the fact...
                      Today, 08:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                      Today, 08:17 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                      Today, 08:17 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Rolf
                      Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                      Today, 08:10 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Supermax
                      by NC Scroller
                      Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                      Today, 08:00 AM
                    Working...
                    X