Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

As per Bob's direction, here we go. My name is Neal Moore. I retired from the U.S. Navy in 1983 and taught electronics for a year or so before going to work in the aerospace field. I burned out after ten years as a site manager and returned to my home state of West Virginia where I worked another ten years as an electrical maintenance supervisor before retiring again in 2002. I now reside in Cottageville West Virginia where I spend most of my time at the scroll saw. I carved and painted decorative birds and waterfowl for about 25 years until I bought my first saw. I bought a 16" Delta and literally wore it out in a year. I now have a 20" De Walt and really like that tool. I started doing mostly fretwork until I discovered Kerry Shirt's book on segmented relief portraiture. I became hooked on that and now work on drawing my own patterns and cutting them out on the saw. If any of you have an interest in this form of art please reply and I will be happy to share my original patterns with you. If you've never tried it you'll be amazed at how nice this stuff turns out!!
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Welcome

Great to have you aboard, Neal! You've got way more experience than I do at this. It'll be wonderful to get your insights in scrollsawing as well.

Comment

Welcome Neil!

I am thrilled to hear about your interest in Kerry Shirts segmentation style. I too did mostly fretwork projects, occcassionally some intarsia, but met a woman on another forum that got me interested in segmentation.

It is important to say that segmentation doesn't always have to lead to intarsia and that it is an style all it's own. I purchased Shirts book recently, just loved it, and figured I'd do several of the patterns (some are a little too detailed for my liking) from the book. Unfortunately, I haven't done any yet. After reading the book, I realized his style had just opened up a whole new way of working patterns I had designed for fretwork.

I would love to discuss this more with you, and see some of your work. Please post some of your finished work in the gallery and send let me know when you do - I am anxious to see them. Can you tell I am very excited about this technique? lol.

Comment

Tony and Grizz

Grizz...Thanx for the welcome..happy to be aboard and meet other scrollers. Not many here locally in my neck of the woods. For Tony... I tried to get a couple pieces in the gallery yesterday but they wouldn't upload. Will try again today. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish and I will send you some pics of the results of my patterns and some of Shirt's patterns I finished. I did the Old Indian as a starter project just to see if I could really do it. It seemed as if I'd never finish but I finally did and the results were worth the effort. When you decide to do one of these projects make sure your saw table is at 90 degrees to the table and your stock ( wood ) is flat. If not, the segments you cut out will be a bear to seperate. Especially the ones cut with a #2 blade. Other than that it's a piece of cake as long as you remember that there is no waste material within the pattern so you must plan each cut carefully so you always know where the blade is going to exit a cut. Jump in and try the little fawn project. It isn't difficult and makes a really nice portrait.

Comment

Hi Neal,

Just in case you didn't see the post under teh FAQ's.

Neal,

Try resizing your images to the specs below.

Image Specs
          1. File Size = 2mb
            Max allowable image width in pixels - 1280
            Max allowable image height in pixels - 1024
          If you need need Help resizing your images http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/t4696.html

See if that works. If not please let me know so I can research.

Thanks,
          Rob

Comment

Uploads

Rob....Still no joy!! Tried resizing and got the same error message. Took photo to about 800 x 800 and 17.5k. I was able to attach a photo to a post but I had to lose a lot of quality to get it there. No big deal...just wanted to show another member what I am doing with this stuff. Thanx a bunch for your time and interest!!

Comment

Splinter

Hey Neal, what is this segmented relief portraiture stuff? I might like to try it. I just scroll for the fun of it between other projects in the shop. I like to try new things and I never heard of this before.

Comment

SEgmented Relief Portraiture

It's similar to Intarsia except everything is cut from one piece of light wood such as soft maple or poplar about 1/2" thick. The portraits range in complexity from just a few simple pieces to several hundred segments. Once all the segments are cut out, each piece is individually stained to reproduce the colors represented in the original picture from which the pattern was drawn. If you take a look in the scrollers gallery I have a few portraits in there. Look at the large versions of the photos and you will get a better idea of what I'm trying to say. I believe a portraiture pattern project is coming out in SSW Magazine before too long that explains it all step by step. There is also a book out by Patrick Spielman and Kerry Shirts called Scroll Saw Art that has several patterns and a "how to" section. Hope that helps!!

Comment

Patrick Spielman wrote another book called Scroll Saw Segmentation. Whilst this doesn't have any portraits, it does have some very colourful and simple projects. Here are some I've made, which will hopefully give you an idea of what segmentation is about:

Stripey fish, Speckled fish, Fisherman

His book on portraits has some stunning work in it and, as Neal says, it relies on stains to provide tones in each picture rather than using paint.

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Splinter

Thanks for the information, looks like fun, I'll give it a whirl after I finish some nameplates I need to finish. I still have some time before the farm work starts in earnest. I really enjoy reading all the posts from all you guys and gals.
                    Last edited by splinter; 03-25-2005, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X