Welcome New Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome New Members

I would like to welcome all new members to the forum and encourage you to say hello. Take a moment and introduce yourself and let us know what you enjoy about scrollsawing and the projects you are working on!

Hello

Hello,
    Im Randy Anderson,
    I have been scrollsawing for about 5 years now. I have been into woodworking for about 12 years. I started thinking of buying a scroll saw when I was in Germany. I was inspired by the intricate things the germans do using a scrollsaw and carving called "Ette Latsching", Its similar to fretwork, but goes beyond, using tiny curles of wood to create amazing sceenrys. When I returned to the states in 1999 I bought a cheap scroll saw and started practicing. Learned quickly a cheap scroll saw will not last (Ryobi). I am now using a RIDGID. Its has been working great, Id like to upgrade to a Hawk, or an Excalaber someday, but might have to settle for a DEWALT. They get very pricy. I will probably someday hand down the RIDGID to my 11 year old (Daniel) who also loves to use the scrollsaw.
    I like to do Fretwork, and Intarsia. I expierment with Compound Cutting and have created some amazing things, but it takes a long time, and snap lots of blades.
    I created a website about 2 years ago, and now my buisness/hobby is boombing. I can hardly keep up. It seems I do more things for other people, than I do for my self. Oh well, busy=$$. And $$ pays the bills.
    Thats enough about me.
    Take care,
    Happy scrolling...
    Randy Anderson
    Randy Anderson
    Intarsia Artist
    Email: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Randy! Nice to hear about where others on here are from and what they like to do in terms of projects and such.

Comment

Hello

Hello, my name is Sue and I'm addicted to my scroll saw! Although I purchased my first scroll saw in 1994 I failed to really use it to it's full capacity, then I neglected it completely for years, much to my shame. A year ago I was given the gift of a racoon intarsia project, and was inspired to dust off the Dremel and give it a try. My addiction came swiftly, my skills much slower, much to my dismay...but, like a true scroll saw addict, I pushed on, (learning not to push and slow down took awhile) and am now much better. The support and teachings of many have helped me get better, I have made amends to the designers of the many patterns that I screwed up, and I look forward to continued progress as I journey into more complex uses of my new Excaliber which I promised not to neglect or leave it unused for any length of time. I do believe that I will never stop being addicted to this fine art, as I look at what others have made I know that my quest and adventure will continue for many many years.
        Have a great day!! Thanks for the support, I continue to need all the help I can get! lol
        Hugs:
        Sue

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Glad you could join us here Sue!

Comment

Hi everybody --
            I am not a "real" scroller. I bought a saw to cut out plain pine things to paint and then turned to wood carving and now mostly use my band saw. I use my scroll saw (like the band saw) to cut out things to carve.
            Randy - I am ASTONISHED that you achieve the things you do with a "less than perfect" saw. Good grief.
            I had a little Hawk that I loved and when it started having some trouble I decided to use that excuse to buy something with a longer arm ..... so I bought a 30" Excalibur. Gee whiz - I hate that thing. The 30" are great but I don't like anything else about it. I don't claim to know much about scrolling so all of the problems could be mine - not the saw's. But changing the blades is a real pain and it's too slow even with the speed set at the highest. It doesn't get a lot of use and already the "dial" that holds the lower blade clamp has broken.
            The manual says it has to be oiled every day -- what a pain.
            My little RBI sets in a corner and giggles.
            When you decide to get a new saw - check out Hegner.... or drop by here and I'll give you a real good price on an an Excalibur

Comment

I guess Randy proves it's not the saw but the user's skill right Nancy? LOL

Comment

Welcome everyone! It's nice to hear about everyone's experiences.
                Theresa
                Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm really glad to see some new members posting here. Forums such as this are only useful when we have participation.

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome

I consider myself new to scroll saw hobby. Last spring I got hold of a 10 to 12 year old Delta saw and have been trying to get it up and running. Have overcome most of my problems with the saw, now on to working on my scroll saw skills. However, been sidetracked by finishing techniques of delicate scroll saw work (Dipping, airbrush, spray can, non-toxic paint, etc.)

By temperment and natural skills I tend to be more of a millwright, machine setup, and technical problem solver than artist or creative sort. Spend more time with micrometers and calipers than with paint brush.

Fair warnings: any posting I do in this forum will mostly be long, both in length and wind. You have been warned.

Graybeard Phil

Comment

Welcome GreyBeard Phil!

It's ok if you are long winded - I look forward to reading your posts on your scrollsawing adventures. Besides, I just cancelled my newspaper so I have more time to read the forum! giggle.

Comment

Good morning,I am a retired mail carrier from Janesville, WI where they make GM suburbans and used to be the home of Parker Pen. Started scrolling in 1992, wife gave me a 20", variable speed Delta. Have cut a lot of scenic pictures and made the America's Pride clock from Wildwood designs. Several compound figures and many butterflies. 1 Year ago my children gave me a new Delta P-20 for Christmas and I took the time to learn how to top feed with it. I enjoy scrolling more now that I don't have to stand on my head to bottom feed anymore. Have cut several family member portraits with the new saw. Enjoyed making over 200 clocks since I retired. Mick.
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Welcome Mick!

You mentioned about cutting portraits.... hmmm, have you only done family members? Why not start a new thread and tell us in the beginners section how you make your patterns for your portraits? I know of some tutorials online and have tried several software programs for designing but still use paper and pencil in most of my patterns.

I have read about it, I have tried it, I don't really like my portrait patterns - lol. Maybe I am too critical, or maybe I just don't like drawing / cutting portraits!

Comment

woodmanplus

Hi , I just found this forum.I was in another forum,but have been busy cutting and had lost the address.It was puut on by one of the tool and assy. Companies and I can not find it.
                            I am the same as the other gentlman about being long winded.Sorry.
                            I have been in woodworking of one kind or other,for about 50 yrs. I started with my grandfather,when I was 8 yrs. old. He was a general contractor and I stated at the bottom,totting tools and material. That was the way that it was back then.
                            I run my own construction company for more yrs. than I like to admit. I would still,but my health,or more truthfully my body has told me in no uncertain terms that it was time to quit.
                            I have been scrolling for about 12 yrs off and on until 3 years ago when I stated making things and selling some. We have 21 in my family and I have for the last 4 yrs. made all of the Xmas presents. I am 65 now and fully retired and working more hrs a day than ever before. Last year I started theDIXIE WOOD SCROLLERS Club here in North Mississippi. I have been through 3 scroll saws and now have a delta P-20 and love it. I saw every morning from 6am.until. I started doing craft shows last yr. and am having a ball.
                            Last yr. I was told that I could not build the Dome Clock (pattern from Wildwood) with the $80.00 var. speed saw from Harbour frieght.I have never let any one challenge me and get away with it. I completed the Dome in 300 hrs. I took 4 months and is out of oak and cotton wood. Well I better quit , I thik I have filled the page Chet

Comment

Welcome Woodmanplus!

You sound like you will have a lot of input to our forum here. I look forward to hearing more about the projects you have worked on. Personally, I never look at the clock patterns but your post has intrigued me.

I would be interested to hear more about how you started the scrollers club since it is something I am looking at doing in the upcoming year if time permits.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X