Interest in chip carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in chip carving

After seeing all those incredible designs in books and such, I want to try out chip carving. What's the best way to start and what materials are needed? Thanks!
    Last edited by Carvity_Carve; 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM.
    How come no one ever carves hyraxes? Or elephant shrews? Or tarsiers? Or aye-ayes? Or crested rats? Or lemmings? Or golden moles? Or grisons? Or bandicoots? Or linsangs? Or....

Re: Interest in chip carving

Chip carving requires a careful precision I don't possess so I can't offer much help. All I know is it demands a very sharp knife. I suggest you click on the "Fox Chapel Publishing" and look for some good books.
    Good luck !! Let us know how you do ----- and show us some photos.

Comment

I would recommend Wayne Bartons Chip Carving book, then you need a good quality chip carving knife and a stab knife...you could get by for a while without the stab knife. I have a flexcut chip knife, a beginners Wayne Barton and a Dennis Moor chip knife.....I also have the small Barton better grade knife...have to say I really like Dennis Moor's Knife...I like Bartons higher quality knife too but this is too small for my hand so not able to really give it a test.....all that said and you need a 5mm lead pencil, a compass , a clear 6 inch ruler with metric on it, and go to work....the hardest part or should say the most tedious is the layout, once thats done, it is just sit and knock out the chips...really relaxing actually.....I like it!

Comment

Chip carving requires tons of patience, which I don't have. Have done some of it and here's my take on it. Laying out the project takes almost as long as doing the carving. Tools needed are an inexpensive "T" square, a 30/60 triangle, Oh heck just check out the "chipping away" webb site they have everything you need the tools for doing layouts, books, etc. As has already been mentioned, the Dennis Moor knives are the best (The old traditional wood handled ones, can't speak for the new design, he still sells both). It's the handle design that makes them special, helps you maintain the correct angle between the blade and wood, which to me was the hardest part. Then again, what do I know, I gave up!

Comment

P.s. Check out
          2carve.com
          they have free tutorials on chip carving and relief carving as well as links to some of the suppliers.

Comment

wow where to start.... My preference is the large moor knife... but I'm a man and have realtively large hands... My teacher (70 year old lady) uses a small moor or a teeny custom knife... a little blashemy here wayne barton is nice place to start but i can hold the knife like he does ( i must just be a hack)

get some 1/4" thick basswood boards at micheals and practice practice practice...

you'll needs some good draftsman (spelling-1) tools... a good comp**** metric rulers small ( 6" or about 15 cm) and 12" or about 30 cm... a good mechanical pencil with real soft lead... french curves are nice but not real important at first... I like to practice with 1 cm squares cut in half on the diagonals...

i like making my own drawings on the boards but barton's can be used...

also i like old english mt a font on ms word for my lettering

oh yeah find some carbon paper that way you transfer designs you make or copy...

good luck and be patient!!! Also your first carvings are going to be a little sad but HAVE FUN!

if i ever figure out how to post my pictures i post some

steve-o
            Live Long and prosper my friend

Comment

Thank you all very much! That's very helpful. I can't wait to start. Nice little list of things I'm going to have to collect first, though.

2LeftFeet, yes, please do post some pictures. There hasn't been many chip carving pictures on this board, unless I've missed something.

Thanks again!
              How come no one ever carves hyraxes? Or elephant shrews? Or tarsiers? Or aye-ayes? Or crested rats? Or lemmings? Or golden moles? Or grisons? Or bandicoots? Or linsangs? Or....

Comment

Can I stick my big nose in here and say the 1/4" bass wood at Michael's is smooth, gorgeous, straight and VERY tempting but it costs a fortune. Good grief. It's REALLY expensive. And the widest piece you can get is 3 or 4".
                It might not be your best choice for practicing ???
                Can I suggest you call Dale Heinecke and order some wood? Even with UPS shipping it will cost far less than Michael's and you can get any width you want. Dale's number in Wisc. is 715-833-8642.
                Hi Ho Sliver (Dave) has a great supplier too.

Comment

Hey Nancy yer nose ain't big!! I have very few outlets for practice boards...and my practice boards became cross ornaments ... that way my practice became freebees for the family....either way... if you can find cheap wood go for it!!

also being new to the board I don't know who supplies what

sorry!!

steve-o
                  Live Long and prosper my friend

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X