Lettering - Don't do it like I did.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettering - Don't do it like I did.

For those of you really new like me, this may make things easier if you use letters. I decided for a first project that a childs ABC block set would be pretty simple. I grabbed a set of letters laying around the house as a pattern. They were pretty basic Times Roman type font.

Bad idea for a beginner, or maybe a good one. I found that my little chisel set really wasn't made for that type of letters. If I do another one, I will use letters as few sharp v's as possible, and a little more rounded. The M,N,W,V, etc, gave me a workout. Of course anyone with any experience would know this right away, or know a easy way to carve them out.

That's everything I know, hope it saves someone a little frustration.

Mike

Re: Lettering - Don't do it like I did.

Mike, I can't tell you how many of us go through the same experience, even after years of experience. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. I just finished a celtic cross about 5'x8' in Butternut. NEVER AGAIN! Butternut just is not a good wood for very fine, curving details! Now I know, and so do you!

Comment

Are you trying to suggest that I can look forward to a lifetime of this?

Really I can't complain, as I learned more this way than I might have in months of doing it right, or having someone showing me how to do it right.

It's always nice to know we're all human. Thanks for keeping it in perspective for me.

Mike

Comment

I think most of us who carve for a hobby can look forward to a lifetime to learning. I like to try new ideas and new methods just to see if I am missing out on something new. About 3 months ago I had a 1' thick basswood board about 8' x10'. I wanted to carve another cuckoo clock but didn't want the hassle of making the box to go around it. I carved the clock in relief, making the background look like wood planks. When I finished, I put a 2' clock fitup into a hole in the center. As a clock, it's kinda hard to see. As a work of art, it shouldn't have a clock in it. As a project, it was fun and turned out nice. I learned a lot about carving leaves, and vines and how to ground into tight spots using my Dremmel tool as a router. I had no project plans or instructions but it was very rewarding just to try something 'totally off the wall'. NEVER hesitate to try something new!

Comment

Amen,Captain.
          That phrase about never being afraid to try something new, is good advice to everyone, not just newby's.
          grumpy560

Comment

Chip Carving would have done it for you! You would have had Innies instead of Outies but I'm sure whoever they were for wouldn't have noticed the difference. Mack C.

Comment

: Uh....probably so, but, ya know, I never learned how to chip carve. I really need to get some lessons on how to do it right, though. It looks facinating.

Comment

I have carved several oieces that included lettering and have also found out (the hard way) that it ain't as easy as it looks. I now print out the lettering in several fonts, not only to see what will look the best for the piece, but also to find if the font is within my carving capabilities. Many are not! Trying out the style on a piece of scrap is better than scrapping a piece.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X