139 Year Old Saw Needed Warranty Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 139 Year Old Saw Needed Warranty Work

Our 139 year old Challenge scrollsaw manufactured by Seneca Falls Manufacturing recently needed warranty repair. The front wheel was wobbling so much that it was impossible to use it. Unfortunately, the company went out of business! Oh my, what to do!

Luckily, we had a member who turned a new bearing for it and we were good to go. The saw completed another 12 day run at the annual New York State Fair with folks like Alex (pictured) operating it for each day from 10am to 8pm. After a couple days of horrible heat and humidity, the saw's round leather belt had stretched so we also did some minor maintenance to shrink the belt. Otherwise, cutting the reclaimed cedar into small animals which were then given to polite children was done on an ongoing basis. I even have a supply of animals to start 2017!

The saw attracts many people to the club's demonstration area - all of which contains non-electric powered tools as we demo in a museum. Our purpose? To show fair goers how they would do woodworking back in the old days! Of course we received many comments like - "oh look she's sewing" or "look, a band saw" or of course the many folks who said it was a jig saw! The best comments were the kids who asked where the live demons were! No demons, just signs that said "live demos inside"!!!!

If you are planning a vacation for next year, consider coming to the New York State Fair! We hosted 1.1 million visitors this year and we estimate that at least 10-15% of those folks make it through the museum. The dates for next year are August 24th thru Labor Day, September 4th.
    Barbara
    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Wow, pretty neat. I would come if I were closer.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Glad there were no live demons. What a great way to show the history of our art.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Wow! A demonstration of this kind initially could draw more people to scrolling than one of the super duper high end machines. Thank you for showing us.
        Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

I would love to attend the fair. Maybe you could post about a month before next year. Also I would love to try your old sewing machine. dan

Comment

Where did you find a man that young that could put the smart phone down long enough to know about scrolling?? That is really great to see. Thanks for sharing.
            AKA Paul from Washington State
            Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X